Ceiling light question

Hi, Our basement is finished and in the large living room there are 2 ceiling lights. Both work with a pull string. The fixtures are not very attractive and don't emit much light. We have other fixtures in mind but they need to operated by a switch. We are also thinking of trac lighting. I know trac lighting is very versatile but do they have any that work on a pull switch? Any suggestions? Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Guay

Consider using WireMold conduit with the track lights and add coneventinal switches where you'd like them. Or, it is possible with some lighting tracks to drill holes for installing pull switches. Check the switches at your box store for ideas on how they work. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Hi Jeff!

JG> Our basement is finished and in the large living room there are 2 ceiling JG> lights. Both work with a pull string. The fixtures are not very attractiv

JG> and don't emit much light. We have other fixtures in mind but they need to JG> operated by a switch. We are also thinking of trac lighting. I know trac JG> lighting is very versatile but do they have any that work on a pull switch? JG> Any suggestions?

I pretty much agree with what Joe suggested but there may be other solutions. The current ceiling lights (the one with the pull chains, err, strings) receive their power from somewhere. If you interrupt this power source (with a switch) then these lights would also go on and off remotely. ...Assuming their pull string switch was in the 'on' position, of course.

Joe hinted at this suggested by the use of Wiremold (surface-mount wiring). It may be possible to run new wire through the ceiling if you can get to it. In the house here half of the basement is finished and the other half not. It is possible to squirm and squeeze to run some wiring. String and wire coathangers to fish the added wire.

  • First graders are the only one who think it's neat when their teeth fall out
Reply to
barry martin

You can get a remote zapper that works much like a TV remote control. They are designed to plug in the wall and the light then plugs into it... But if you wired it into the light directly, you could eliminate the pull cord. ds

Reply to
D Smyth

You'd have to get a unit specifically designed and listed to control a wired in ceiling fixture,

Reply to
Gary Tait