adding wall to finished basement

Hi All,

I am planning on adding a room to my basement which is already finished. Ceiling is popcorn, floor is carpet and current walls drywall.

I need to add one wall with a doorway. The wall, including the door will span the entire width of the current room.

What do I need to do? Do I need to remove the carpet in that area? Do I need to remove drywall section in ceiling to get good attachment to the joists above, or can I just screw the header to the drywall with anchors if needed. (I'm not yet sure of the direction of the joists).

Anyone know of a good reference on how to do this right?

Many thanks,

Larry

Reply to
GoHabsGo

Based on the "do this right" theory: (Mike Holmes?)

(I'm not yet sure of the direction of the joists). Once you find out, that will let you know how you re going to attach the "new" wall:

Is the position of the new one critical ?..lets say the joists are parallel to the new wall..Can the 'new' one be moved one way or the other within the usual 16" centers above to end up beneath the existing joist, otherwise, you'll probably have to remove more than the minimum ceiling rock to get the new wall tied in to the above structure. If the joists are perpendicular, you could pretty well put the new one where you want it. Picture a 3.5" wide "slice" in your ceiling drywall where the new one is going...frame up the wall, tip it up and put the top in place in 'the slice' and then kick in the bottom on the smooth concrete (make sure you either use PTL for the bottom plate and/or put a strip of vapor barrier or sill gasket under it before kicking it into place). You could use tapcon screws or a RamSet Gun to "shoot" down the plate to the floor.

Have you considered that to tie the 'ends' of the new wall in to the existing walls, you'll have to reveal some structure there to tie to as well.

How long is the new wall ? Have you considered the code requirements for electrical wiring/outlets on (both sides of) the new wall ?

Reply to
Rudy

"Rudy" wrote in news:ygy5k.8479$kx.4570@pd7urf3no:

Thanks for the ideas, Rudy. Electrical had not crossed my mind but is a valid point. Wall will be 12-14 feet including the door.

Reply to
GoHabsGo

Habs, can't help with the building part (I've done this but only on an unfinished basement) but the electrical part is one you really need to check. Areas vary on that but I think you'll need at least 1 outlet on each side.

In my area (Virginia), you'd need *more* than one outlet per side. In fact, when they did my sunroom, they have to add 2 on one of the walls because of code-spec and a door placement (something about nearest one in one direction being 6 inches too far away? Wasnt totally clear but came as part of the contracted job). I say may need more than one per side because of the 12-14 foot wall. Check you area? I think ours was 9 feet max plus 1 per wall. I have 5 outlets in an 11x13 room plus 1 exterior outlet. The 9ft max is handled by placing the outlet middle of each wall roughly then the corner near the entry from house proper has 2.

Reply to
cshenk