Quote for renovation?

I just got this quote from a contractor to frame in a couple closet doors, add a closest (in an open room) and a couple of door ways. Initial visit he said 7-8 days work of two of his workers. No plumbing, a bit of electrical but mostly framing, doors, sheetrock, trim (no painting). Quick guess at supplies seems between 2-3k for the doors, framing, trim, sheetrock, etc.

The quote is for $20k, just blew me away. Need a quick sanity check here whether seems rational or not.

? Frame new wall to enclose washer and dryer ? Install drywall ? Tape and compound drywall ? Install double door and doorknobs ? Install base and door trim Utility Closet ? Frame new wall to create utility closet ? Install drywall ? Tape and compound drywall ? Install door and doorknobs ? Install base and door trim Master Bedroom Door ? Frame doorway for master bedroom ? Install drywall ? Tape and compound drywall ? Install door and doorknobs ? Install base and door trim Build wall to create new closet and additional room ? Remove existing pocket door (frame and slab) ? Salvage pocket door (note: there may be an additional charge to if frame is not salvageable and needs replacement) ? Cut door opening in existing bedroom wall for new closet door ? Cut door opening in existing hallway to create a new hallway ? Frame new dividing wall, including prep for pocket door ? Install drywall ? Tape and compound drywall ? Install salvaged pocket door ? Install bedroom closet door and doorknobs ? Install base and door trim ? Rework electrical and AC as discussed

Reply to
ArghArgh

No mention of building permits ; inspections ; etc ?

Can he start next week ? - that's a bad sign.

Ask who his electrical sub-contractor is .. Ask who his HVAC sub-contractor is ..

Be sure to see the detailed quote - in writing.

John T.

Reply to
hubops

8 days, 16 working days or 128 hours at $60/hr = $7680 plus material. Sounds like closer to a 15k job to me. I'd get another quote.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

the doors, framing, trim, sheetrock, etc.

Shop that price. Lumber is high right now, I would consider steel frame but if you need wood I still don't think materials is more than

10% of that bid so his guys are billing out at $140 an hour for each of them. (2 guys, 8 man days each is 128 hours into 18k) You should look at his takeoff for the materials, verify that is in the ballpark then look at the labor again. If it is really 2 guys for 8 days (we don't know how much drywall and framing we are talking about here) $3k might be a better guess on the labor here. YMMV up north. That does sound like a long time tho unless this is some tricky stuff you are doing.
Reply to
gfretwell

The thing that caught my eye is "Rework electrical and AC as discussed". Just exactly what is included in that? That needs to be clearly defined, not just hand waved.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

Along with all that work, don't forget the additional cost of painting it all.

Reply to
Gary