Wju os black wire cheaper than brown?

feet of black lamp cord -- $4.24 yesterday when they had 1, and now when they have none, except at other stores**

100 feet is 4 times the price, no savings. And if you get it in brown, it's $9.81 even though they have 7 of them.

Why is brown over twice the price of black?

100 feet of brown is $20.27. Same price as 100' of black!!

So brown is the same price at 100 feet but more than twice the price at

25 feet. Very strange.

Nothing about it being a special or anything.

**Interesting how they say none: "Limited stock at Randallstown" Certainly is limited because yesterday t hey had one and I bought it. Why can't they say none?
Reply to
micky

Inventory count is not actually an exact count - .. stuff happens to make it wrong - eg. shop-lifting or improper code was entered for a return, placing it back into inventory when it actually was not ... etc. That's why when inventory count is low - they say " limited stock " and the customer is asked to phone the store to confirm.

The price difference between black / brown lamp cord might be due to different sales volume .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

There is no volume advantage in a 100' roll since they normally package it at 500 or 1000 feet and anything smaller is a special operation. My guess is that brown is a slower mover.

Reply to
gfretwell

Could be the price of copper when the items were bought if it was some time apart.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Thanks for the answers. I do know that unlike Amazon, HD prices don't go up and down during the day or the week. And if they were going to price things based on inventory, it wouldn't be one particular store's inventory. But I dont' have either the nat ional inventory or the national sales, so I gave what I have.

Still surprising especially since brown used to the standard color. Maybe those civil rights guys did something to make black more popular.

Good answer hubops, although they no longer say to call the store. Stores don't want to be called these days. They say to check, computerly, other stores.

I'm having a problem with UPS, and there seems to be no way to talk to anyone alive except those at the store who of course no nothing about and could do anything if they did, the online ups.com

I tried to sign up for MyChoice, which gives better notice of when a delivery will come, and has a couple other features I don't care about. I was expected a new computer, the most expensive thing I've ever gotten delivered. Well I got more than the 2 previous used laptops, but I didn't worry about them, and MyChoice wasn't available.

But when I tried to sign up it said "Either the name, first name variation or household member and delivery address is already enrolled in UPS My Choice® ", and it wouldn't let me. No one is stealing my packages so if anyone signed up, it was probably me. But there is no one to talk to and their "help" page, of course, does not help about this.

Reply to
micky

They want you to order on the phone pay and pick it up at the service desk. You will know if they have it when your order status comes back. You can still cancel before you pick it up.

Reply to
gfretwell

That's why I NEVER use the company with the moniker that stands for "Universally Poor Service"

Reply to
Clare Snyder

The vendor decided. Didn't tell me in advance. I suppose I could request even an Amazon-affiliated vendor to use the shipper I like.

I always had the impression that Fedex was more expensive and a shipper wouldn't want to use it. Especially for 22 pounds.

UPS did send me an email when it came only ?? minutes after it came, but I was so busy watching the grocery truck on the phone, in the kitchen, I didn't get the email until later.

Reply to
micky

Fed Ex and Purolator for me up here in the "great white North". From the USA it's USPS/Canada Post for small stuff and FedEx for big stuff. I learned LONG ago not to trust anything more fragile than cotton or cast steel to a brown truck (cost $10,000 in damage and 3 failed attempts to deliver a server to Newfoundland before I ended up hand carrying it to a plane at Pearson,and having it picked up at the plane in St John's) Having a $25 package sent from ther USA to Canada often ends up costing over twice as much in shipping and brokerage fees with UPS - tripling the cost of the order. Send it postal service and it costs me mabee $10 (small envelope - electronic components etc)

With Fed Ex the upfront shipping cost is a bit higher than UPS but all the brokerage crap is included.

Reply to
Clare Snyder