brown/black "puffs" growing in lawn

Hello,

I have these things in my yard that look like brown buff balls (almost like large mushrooms). Last year when I had these I accidentally popped one and they let out a lot of black/brown dust. I can take pictures if necessary, but I figured someone might know exactly what these are. Any idea? They're isolated in one area -- same as last year.

Thanks! Mike

Reply to
Mike

Those are little dioxin balls. Don't pop 'em unless you have a hazmat suit on.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

I can't find much information on "dioxin balls," but obviously dioxin should be a concern.

You said they were little, but in actuality there's not small. Probably 4-5" in diameter at the top. How do these things grow? Is there something wrong with my lawn? I'd be interested in knowing more if you can point me in the right direction.

Thanks for the help!

Reply to
Mike

I uploaded pictures that I just took a few minutes ago. Are these definitely dioxin balls? I appreciate the help.

?image=100062827ez.jpghttp://img365.imageshack.us/my.php?image=100062920ft.jpgThanks.

Reply to
Mike

Ocsar_Lives is yanking your chain. There ain't no such thing.

That said, I'm guessing a fungus/puff ball of some kind, but I've never seen one like it before.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Do you have a university or college nearby? There may be someone there who can ID it for you.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Yes, actually I do. That's a good idea.. bet they'd enjoy doing an experiment on it. I'll inquire.

Thanks again!

Reply to
Mike

Mike

When I was a kid we called them puffballs.

the page there are examples of different types of puffballs

Ken

Reply to
Crazyaboutgreys

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Weird. So is that what this is?

Reply to
Mike

Mike, Are the balls hollow inside... like some sort of bag?

Reply to
Anthony B

It's a fungus. Get some fungicide from your local garden center. Print a picture and take the remains of one of them (in a clear plastic bag) and let them suggest what to use. I'd venture any regular fungicide would take care of them.

Reply to
wkearney99

Cool. Thanks for the tip.

Reply to