remove rust from metal stapler?

I have just obtained a antique ace #102 metal stapler. It is covered with rust, not just stains. Can anyone suggest a method to remove the rust?

all replies welcomed!

best, Aaron

Reply to
aaronep

In alt.home.cleaning on 26 Mar 2005 18:43:19 -0800 snipped-for-privacy@pacbell.net posted:

Well naval jelly is sold for the removal of rust. I've used it years ago.

With furniture and some other stuff, restoration is discouraged and deprives the item of antique value. I don't know if this applies to a stapler or not, or if you care or not.

The oldest thing I own is a pistol ball mold, a model used from 1820 to 1850 iirc to make pistol balls. It's exactly like the one that used to be on the glossy brochure they gave out at the home of John Quincy Adams, which is all the more remarkable, because I bought the mold accidentally with a big bunch of modern hand tools at a yard sale on my way to JQA's house. An incredible coincidence.

But I bring the topic up because as old as it is, it's only worth 10 dollars.

Is the stapler painted or chromed? If not, what I do most of the time to clean rust off of metal is use an electric wire brush, on one side of a grinder, with a grind stone on the other side.

It won't leave a gleaming shine, or for the most part any shine at all, but other than that, it does a great job very quickly. Wear goggles, and until you get the hang of it, wear gloves I guess.

Some things that in the past didn't even bother me, that looked pretty good, I now wirebrush because I know they will look better. Rusty screwdriver shanks, putty knife blades, knife blades, hammer heads, metal jack stands that got wet and rusted near the bottom, pliers jaws and handles, key rings, wood screws and cabinet hinges that were damaged by toilet bowl cleaner vapor. All of these looked good or great after they were done. The last two especially I thought were so damaged I'd need to look for new ones, or get them from my neighbors when they got knew cabinets, but mine looked great after 3 or 5 minutes of brushing (2 hinges, 10 screws.) Lots of other things.

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

Dear Meirman: I went out after reading your post & bought a small container of Naval Jelly from Pep Boys. It worked just fine. The stapler now looks like it belongs on my desk & not in a junk yard. Many thanks for your post with good info! best, Aaron

Reply to
aaronep

In alt.home.cleaning on 4 Apr 2005 12:58:11 -0700 snipped-for-privacy@pacbell.net posted:

That's great. You're welcome.