Screw rust stains: remove w/o destroying underlying paint? (Motorhome paneling)

I've a motorhome w/ painted metal side panels. The hex-head screws that secure the panels are beginning to 'drip' rust down the panels. Said rust isn't TOO bad at this point. Is there any way to remove the rust stains without destroying the underlying [white] paint? (I'm going to replace the rusting screws and either either seal them with clear sealant of some kind, or cover the screws with 'caps.')

THANK you for any advice!

Christopher

Reply to
Harry

change screws to stainless steel. check them in a year.

Reply to
buffalobill

what about some of that rust remover for sinks...CLR or something like that...or naval jelly..dont know if either would affect the paint..try down low in an inconspicuous space

Reply to
cornytheclown

Any of the spray on rust removers (CLR, etc.)

Neither will keep steel screws from rusting any better than paint. Use stainless.

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

I also think you should replace the screws with stainless steel.

Reply to
scott21230