Cleaning air ducts

I noticed in the paper an ad for air-duct cleaning. We haven't done it in the 8 years that we have lived in our home. Is it recommended or necessary to have it done periodically? Will it help to prevent allergies to dust/pollen/etc.? Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
tenplay

Most likely a waste of money. Are you having problems? Unless they steam clean the ducts it probably is a waste.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Have it done. Most think it's a waste of money, but this cleaning removes dust built up inside the ducts and also allows for better air movement. When was the last time they were cleaned? Probably never. Do it at least once, see if you can tell the difference. Watch what they remove from the ducts, it will surprise you.

Good luck.

OH, if they are like the company we hired, they found, and fixed, several leaks in the ducts as well. We opted for the sanitizer treatment sprayed inside the ducts. It doesn't really last too long, but we got it clean at least once.

Really glad we did it. My allergies appreciated the relief as well.

Reply to
Rick Rider