cleaing air ducts

One of my n'bors is getting her house's air ducts cleaned now.

It seems to be that the dirt and dust that is loose gets blown into the house every day with no need for a cleaning service (and before the cleaning service can arrive), and the dirt and dust that isn't loose, that requires a cleaning service, just sits there in the duct anyhow and doesn't bother anyone.

When did cleaning air ducts become a desirable thing?

Reply to
micky

When we started panicking about mold.

I don't often agree with you but I'm with you on this one. If it's loose it will get blown out, if it's not it won't hurt anything.

But we do it all the time where I work.

People think the dirt comes from outside and cleaning the ducts will make the house cleaner. Actually residential systems don't have ventilation air. All the dirt in your vents came from your house, sucked up into the return duct. If you want cleaner ducts, clean your house more often.

Reply to
TimR

Several years ago we had to have ours cleaned twice due to furnace problems. Oil furnace plenum had a break and house filled with soot. We needed duct cleaning and new furnace. Then we had a problem with the new furnace put in improperly and malfunctioning filling house with soot. House cleaning was required too. Normally I do not think ducts need cleaning.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Actually a LOT of homes have external air ventilation through the heating system through heat recoivery sysrtems or energy recovery systems.

That saod, duct cleaning is DEFINITELY oversold

Reply to
Clare Snyder

On Tue, 04 May 2021 12:45:11 -0400, micky posted for all of us to digest...

When it was noted that money could be made from it.

House dust is composed of 50% skin cells.

Further research is left to the OP.

Reply to
Tekkie©