Garage siding - exposed nails?

Hello,

I recently had a 26' x 26' standalone garage built, and am concerned by how the siding was hung.

There are about 70-80 nails throughout the garage, poking through the walls about 1 inch. The nails are sometimes directly between the studs. There are instances of these nails from about 1 foot above the floor all the way up to the ceiling joists.

Is this a common practice? I'm concerned about someone injuring themselves, and I haven't seen this in any other garage I've been in.

Is there a building code that I can reference? If this is a common/ o.k. thing to do, what's the best way to cover these nails? I'm not too eager to put drywall up, however.

Thanks,

--Nate

Reply to
Nate

Are these exposed on the inside of the building? If so, it could be "miss-fires" from when they mounted the siding with a pneumatic nailer. If they run close to the stud, the operator just missed. If not, they may have bee looking for the stud. Either way, I suggest you bend them down. Be careful to not leave it where you might fall against it. If you pound the back out you will have to pull them from the outside and leave a hole. Also,lnstead of drywall, you might put up wafer-board. It works fine and takes abuse.

Reply to
jackfoster01

The siding is nailed to the sheathing. Pretty common, actually. If the nail only penetrated the sheathing, it would not hold as well. Either bend them down or add drywall. Consider insulation if you use the garage as a shop.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I wouldn't bend them, that will damage the siding. Cut them off as close to flush as you can with an end cutter.

Reply to
Goedjn

put up paneling or drywall on the inside of the walls

Reply to
longshot

Nails through the sheathing 1" would indicate they used vinyl siding, correct? This is OK if they used vinyl, but not OK if they used Hardie Plank, or cement siding. Otherwise, consider covering the walls on the inside. I recently built a 26x30 garage. I insulated and then covered the walls with 1/4" OSB. The OSB will take the abuse and looks pretty good. Best of all, no mudding, taping, priming or painting!

Reply to
J.A. Michel

..................what type of siding is this?

I'm concerned about someone injuring | themselves, and I haven't seen this in any other garage I've been in.

..................some siding nails only penetrate the studs.

| | Is there a building code that I can reference? If this is a common/ | o.k. thing to do, what's the best way to cover these nails? I'm not | too eager to put drywall up, however.

..................rigid insulation in between studs (over nails)

| | Thanks, | --Nate |

Reply to
3G