Vinyl siding, losely nail starter trim and j-channel?

I'm installing vinyl siding. I know that the siding boards themselves need to be loosely nailed to allow for expansion. But what about the starter, j-channela and f-channel and soffits? Should those also be losely nailed, or tight? Also, does it matter whether it is nailed into just the sheathing or must it be into the 2x framing?

thx.

Reply to
beerguzzler50

Yes, any long strips need to be allowed to expand and contract with the heat/cool cycle each day. A good rule to follow is: if it has slots in it for nails, then nail it "snug" but not tight - and place the nails in the center of the slots. Sheathing is fine as long as it is substantial enough to hold a nail (ie. plywood, OSB, etc.) Some older constructions have used homasote or other "soft" sheathing and that will not hold a nail well, so be aware of that and nail to the wall studs if necessary.

Reply to
louie

In general, everything needs to be hung loose. All pieces should slide back and forth when fully nailed. If the pieces of soffit are only the typical 12" or so, slide them into the F channel at the house and nail them tight on the bottom of the facia. There is a special nail driver to get the nails in the grooves, you use aluminum trim nails, not roofing nails. If the soffit is long enough to need center supports, those get nailed loose like everything else.

Vertical pieces like corners need to be hung from the top nail at the top of its slot, then the other nails placed in the center of the slots, again hammered loose.

I find it easier to control nailing depth into the studs if you can, because the sheathing is 'bouncy' away from the studs, but it isn't required. Here is a link to the Vinyl Siding Organization, they have a nice PDF manual online:

Dennis

Reply to
DT