Cost of Vinyl Siding

Menards has siding for ~$5 Per piece ($60 Per Square). What are some of the popular manufacturers going for out there?

I have heard Menards siding is not very good.

Thoughts...

Reply to
Bgreer5050

Menard's can sell some real crap, you must be careful. Thicker vinyl is better. You might consider using Hardi Plank instead. My house has Hardi Plank on it, and it's really nice stuff!

Reply to
J.A. Michel

And keep in mind that the siding is only about 60% of the material cost. All the trim pieces add greatly to the cost. That 60% figure is off the top of my head could go 5% either way.

I know there is no comparison between the quality of the trim pieces at HD and Lowes compared to the quality of the one I get from a distributor. We don't have a Menards.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Alcoa Grand Sierra series Double 4" $85-$90 a sq I agree with Colbyt authorized distributors carry an all around better product and are much more knowledgeable. Ed

Reply to
Ed B

Think about the total installed cost, not the cost of just one part. Remember that the quality of the materials are not standard. They vary greatly as does the workmanship in installation which is a very big part of the quality of the final product.

Get several estimates from several local professionals and ask them about their recommendations for specific materials. Remember that local weather conditions should be considered when picking a product.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Can I buy 25 foot of siding...?

After 30+ years I had a piece come loose in the wind and I will need to replace that entire row...(at least it ois the bottom row )

Home is brick vineered but the peaks are covered with aliminum siding...each piece aout 8 inches tall...

Not enough work for a Pro...and it is white .. just praying I can at least come close to the color..as its on the most visible part of the house...next to the driveway...

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.

Bob,

I hate being the one to tell you this and keep in mind I may be wrong,

but I think you are up the proverbial tributary without the proper means of locomotion.

I don't think you will find it anywhere except at a salvage yard.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Wow. 60% only. What are the other expenses? Are you using Soffit & Fascia in this calculation or house wrap? Just curious.

Thanks

Reply to
Bgreer5050

59.73% to be exact. I pulled an invoice from December 2004 to make sure this was correct.

I bought my materials at a wholesalers. The box stores tend to mark up the trim pieces more than the siding because most people don't realize the total cost of the project. They look at a cheap price for the siding and are really shocked when they add up the total bill.

I stripped the exterior to the studs, added insulation, new OSB and house wrap. NONE of that is included in the following figures:

Nails and any tool purchases are not included.

Total cost of materials after returns and before sales tax $768.00 Less the cost of soffit materials included on invoice ($157.00) Net invoice amount of siding only materials $611.00 Total cost of siding boards only $365.00 59.73% Cost of all trim pieces $246.00 41.27%

Seven new windows with attached J-channel were installed or the trim cost would have been higher. The trim included 4 OS corners, 2 IS corners and the proper amount of J-channel, starter strip and sill strip, also used at the top of the last piece, to complete the project. I think I even wound up going back for another piece or two of J or sill but that is not included in these numbers. There was no leftover or returned trim.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

he might take some from a less noticeable area, and put the new stuff there.

at least that way its less visible

Reply to
hallerb