Painting an apartment in Greece

Dear Everyone,

I am at my wits' end. I'm an American living in Athens, Greece and I'm trying to paint my girlfriend's apartment as quickly as possible so I can move back to the States and get married. All the materials I'm using are Greek in origin, and I can't really communicate with the Greeks about what I need, or even be sure about what I need. I have never painted interior walls in a reinforced concrete structure, and I'm terrified of making of mistake and having my girlfriend scream at me when the paint starts blistering and peeling (she's really good at screaming).

I started this project a while back and things have gone from bad to worse. Specifically, how do I prep walls for latex that have been painted in a stuff called "watercolor" and ceilings painted in "glue"? I'm sure the terms don't translate properly, but I'll do my best to describe what's going on. I'll do my best to make it entertaining, and I could sure use some real advice.

Thank you.

--Credo

Reply to
credoquaabsurdum

run as fast as you can & don't look back

Reply to
longshot

find a local painter, and have them do it, use computer to translate what you need to a local person, call local us EMBASSY and ask for help.

so you marrying the screaming gal?

EEEK RUN AWAY IT ONLY GETS WORSE ONCE YOUR MARRIED:(

Reply to
hallerb

Simple solution. Buy a one way plane ticket. Just one.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Greetings Credo,

Unless you are an exceptionally poor, ugly creep with no other chances you should release her at the edge of the woods. Even if you are sometimes it is better being alone. Imagine when you have kids and they are like her? Please remember that even if you don't leave her the bitch will leave you and take all your money and even money you haven't earned yet. If you continue down this path you are doomed and have only yourself to blame.

Good luck from us all, truly, William Deans

Reply to
William.Deans

To the girlfriend with the apartment in Athens?

I'm going to assume that you're exaggerating. Once you get started, it should only take a day or two? to finish. Surely it won't blister in that time.

And why does it matter so much if she is moving to the US with you?

Maybe post to a greek newsgroup. Some of them will live in the US now and will know what these things are, and what is for sale. Others might be in Greece and will know who to hire.

Real advice seems to be in short supply. Personal advice there is much of.

The embassy might be busy, but there are lots of English speaking people who live there, with some time to talk. Travel agency, American Express, bar owned by an American, US Consulate... You could go to a park with a sign on your chest. The zoo always has lots of locals, but don't know how many speak English, or know paint.

I did call the US embassy once to find a good hospital, and I visited another embassy looking for someone to hitchhike with. He suggested the bulletin board at the University of Mexico, but the vacation period had already begun, and no one was there. I ended up traveling with the woman from the group ahead of me at the embassy, who were trying to get one of the guy's US prescription renewed, or to learn what it was, in Mexico. Purely platonic. She was grateful, so I never told her I thought she was unattractive. Other guys liked her though, especially in Latin America, everyone liked her looks.

Reply to
mm

" snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

Figures once married he'll have her change that. She will gladly comply because she is now the wife.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Not about this couple, but the way I've heard it.

A woman marries a man thinking he'll change.

A man marries a woman thinking she won't.

Reply to
mm

mm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Kudos. Accurate.

Reply to
Al Bundy

OK, all of you, thanks a bundle. Har har.

If only I could find out what this pigshit is on the walls, the translation for this "glue" stuff, I'd be in great shape. Apparently, it's a paint that comes in a powder and is sold cheap-cheap all over the country. Lots of ceilings are done with it.

Reply to
credoquaabsurdum

OK, got it. It's this stuff called "calcimine" and no matter what I do, I've got a cast-iron bitch of a job to deal with, apparently. Funny how a paint no longer sold in the USA is still current in this corner of the world 100 years later. When the price is right, who cares?

Reply to
credoquaabsurdum