painting, walls and wood

i had painted my walls , then it came to the skirting and archetrays and for some reason i decided not to mask, or not even to take my time and cut in properly. so i painted over the emulsion wall paint with the wood paint (water based), now i'm going to have to paint emulsion again and cut it in. my question is can i just paint straight over the wood paint or should i sand down again. the wood/metal (dulux quick drying water based-satinwood) paint seems slightly shiny. i know the say you shouldnt paint emulsion over gloss (oil based) paint but will i be ok as i've used water based?

Reply to
benpost

I am not encouraging anyone to lash the woodwork with emulsion but what you have done, if I understand correctly, is exactly what I would do. Paint the walls, don't worry about cutting in. Paint the woodwork, dont worry about cutting in. Finally, cut in around the woodwork with the wall paint.

Of course you can only do this with matt emulsion wall paint because you will be able to see any touching up or cutting in with satin emulsion. I do this even when using gloss paint on the woodwork.

Reply to
Rednadnerb

hi yeah this is what i've done and i currently have the white satinwood paint on top of the matt wall emulsion. so i now can just cut in around the woodwork? it just seemed to me like it would have been easier if i had masked the wall around the edges of the wood?

Reply to
benpost

Unless the emulsion was completely dry you might have removed some of it when you peeled the tape off, even using the low tack stuff.

Reply to
stuart noble

thanks, i just thought maybe i'd done it wrong because it didnt seem right painting emulsion on top of satinwood (due to the satinwood paint being kind of thicker and shinier)

anyway i'm sure i wont even notice later on so will just cut the emulsion in against the skirting/architray.

Reply to
benpost

have a feeling this water based satinwood dulux isnt all that great. seems ok on wood, but on metal it doesnt apply very well. it seems like i'm going to need about 10 coats to hide the bare metal areas unless i put on loads of paint which would probably result in drips (which i hate).

Reply to
benpost

Are you sure it is the right product for bare metal? I think you should be priming/undercoating with something else and just using the satinwood to finish.

Reply to
Rednadnerb

yes, there's a water based primer/undercoat for metal

Reply to
stuart noble