flues: which type?

Hello,

I am researching flues for my new boiler. I understand that a conventional flue is the "exhaust" from the boiler and that it has to draw the air it needs from the room its in, whereas a balanced flue has an air intake as well as an air outlet built-in.

But I cannot work out what high level and low level flues are. Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Low level are those fitted to floor standing boilers and through wall flued gas fires. Usually a large square section cage (12" ish) that sticks through the wall - flue gasses come out a centre part of it, air goes in the surround, that there a grill over the whole thing to stop you getting too close.

High level are designed to discharge overhead - i.e. higher up a wall or through a roof etc. These are usually smaller neater concentric 4" pipes with a spout on the end.

Reply to
John Rumm

Almost all modern boilers use 60mm in 100mm concentric flue/air-duct. Perhaps if you would like to shed some light on some of your thinking that has led you to this point then someone can give you much better advice.

You might find some of the FAQs below relevant.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Thanks for explaining. To answer Ed's post, I am reading the faqs thanks for the urls. I had been reading the Grand flue brochure which is where I had seen the range of conventional, balanced, low- and high- level flues.

Reply to
Stephen