Non-balanced flues & extractor fans

Amongst the many other "features" of the 250 year old house we moved into 4 months ago is a worsening condensation problem. I've got an extractor fan ready to fit in the kitchen window as stage 1 of my attempts to increase ventilation. However, the window I need to put the fan into is right next to the boiler which I have a horrible feeling has a non-balanced flue (a Vokera Excell 80SP).

This appears to be quite a bad thing. However, if I put an air vent in the window at the other end of the kitchen would I still be okay and avoid a bout of carbon monoxide poisoning?

Also, the boiler is about to be replaced, most likely with a Worcester-Bosch. Does anyone know if these normally have balanced flues?

Reply to
Redeye

Yes. It will almost certainly have room sealed fanned flue, unless you have found a seriously Luddite plumber with a supply of ancient illegal boilers. Quite frankly, wait until it is in before commissioning the extractor.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

In theory, the extractor should draw air in through the vent that you intend fitting, in practice however this isn't going to work. The first thing to note is that your ex-fan is going to shift XX litres of air per minute, if the vent you install cannot allow this much air or greater to flow inwards, there's a possibility that you will draw exhaust fumes from the boiler...what kind of 'window vent' were you thinking of? - if it's one of those trickle vents then forget it - I'd suggest a 9 X 6 inch

*plastic* vent fitted into a wall, this will give you 100mm2 of free air flow, which /may/ be enough air flow, provided there are no obstructions either indoors or out, personally, I wouldn't risk it at all until your balanced flue is installed. (yes, WB boilers are balanced)
Reply to
Phil L

Thanks for the advice. Further investigation has muddied the waters a little.

The flue on the current boiler seems to be fan assisted which would appear to make it a little less risky to have the extractor fan working too.

The suggestion of having an air brick or vent in the wall is a good one but unfortunatelt a bit impractical as the walls are 2 foot thick and made of stone. This is why I was thinking of putting a vent in the window at the other end as the inlet instead. I haven't really managed to find what I'm looking for yet - what I really want is a vent to act like an air brick to fit in a single glazed window pane.

Reply to
Redeye