Bending plastic pipe

I need to put a slight bend on a couple of 32mm and 40mm plastic pipes but don't want to leave them stressed.

Is it possible to do this with the application of heat?

If it is, are we talking hot/boiling water or blowlamp?

They are made to carry hot/boiling water and a blowlamp will make holes. I don't think they mind being stressed.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

You can do it with one of those hot air hairdryer type things for paint stripping. If you are careful - there is a fine line between bending and melting through. Put the stress on it and heat until it just gives. Experiment first ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

heatgun or hairdrier, VERY carefully.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Heatgun it is then - thanks.

|On 24/08/2006 16:49 The Natural Philosopher wrote: | |> heatgun or hairdrier, VERY carefully. | |Heatgun it is then - thanks.

Do a practice bend first.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Put the heat gun in a vice/workmate and this way you'll have control over the bend and heat applied,with the use of both hands forcing the bend into shape.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Indeed. Styrene and ABS go soft at a given point and can be extruded or moulded..a little more and they are liquid. Finding that point takes care. My gut feeling is its about 150-200C or so.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember F saying something like:

Hot air gun and gently bend a bit at a time. Let cool and bend the next bit or it will kink. It's easy once you do a practice one.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Consensus is 'it needs practice' so that's what I'll do. Thanks.

Thermostatically controlled deep fat fryer?

I suppose borrowing the chip pan to bend plastic pipe with is a slightly different reason to catch hell from SWMBO for misusing domestic appliances than washing motorbike bits in the dishwasher.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

A somewhat 'traditional' view of domestic duties: I do the cooking and am also IC dishwasher, hammer, drill, spanner, saw etc. etc....