pex plumbing in attic exposed to extreme heat & cold

It can get up to 160 degrees in the attic of a roof covered in concrete tiles. Since the water coming out of my cold water faucet is scalding hot during hot days that should at the very least cause expansion and then contraction of the pipes. Add to that the use of chlorine in household water it is a recipe for disaster. The water is then "piped" down the walls for use in kitchen and bath room. How do you hear dripping water from a leaking plastic pipe in the attic? Why place it in an attic and not under the slab where it is better protected. The only ones benefitting from the cheap cost are the plumbing contractors and building contractors. They don't have a tendency to pass the savings on to the consumer. How do they "unclog" pex plumbing pipes with a bacterial growth . How do they find it in the first place?

Reply to
DJ

Good questions, but poor assumptions. Residential subcontractors (like plumbers) have evolved to be very competitive, and that usually means meeting code minimums and nothing more, to be able to submit the most competitive bid to the General Contractor. If it costs the subcontractor more, it'll cost the home buyer/homeowner more, as well. They aren't going to eat that cost.

Pex pipe is designed to not react with Chlorine.

As far as hearing it drip when there's a leak, you could have the same problem with piping in the walls, or under the house. I'd bet leaks under a house are many times more likely do to winter freezing. If you're saying it's more exposed in the attic, I agree, but they should have run it in locations where it's relatively protected. In electrical we have to keep exposed wiring at least 6 feet from the entrance to an attic, to protect it.

Installing conduit under a poured slab is considerably more difficult than running it in the attic. It requires knowing where the walls will be, beforehand, and that depends on variables and info that may change or not be exact. This said, most houses on built on a foundation and not a solid slab. This helps insulate the house from the earth.

Unclog pex pipes with a bacterial growth? Why would you have a bacterial growth in your freshwater plumbing? I've never even heard of a bacterial clog in home plumbing. The chlorine in the water prevents most microbes from growing in your plumbing.

Reply to
jessefaught

Installing conduit underneath a poured slab is considerably greater difficult than strolling it within the attic. It requires knowing where the walls can be, beforehand, and that depends on variables and data that may change or no longer be genuine. This stated, most houses on built on a foundation and not a solid slab. This helps insulate the house from the earth....

">Redmond Plumbing Companies</a>
Reply to
everlight1