Can I use Great Stuff Triple Expanding foam to seal off an unused drain pipe?

I live in a top floor condo unit and recently had a leak from my outside HVAC closet into my neighbors outside HVAC closet. The leak stemmed from my HVAC overflow pan which had a drain hole connected to said pipe which drained nowhere but right down into the neighbors closet. I have replaced the overflow pan that now drains properly out a different pipe. At this point, I want the old hole/pipe sealed off to prevent any water from draining down it. It connects to nothing and want it permanently sealed. Can I use Great Stuff Triple Expanding foam to seal the pipe?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
MS

Well, yes, it is watertight and water resistant, so it should work. They do call it "Triple expanding" to signify that it's for filling <b>large</b> gaps though. How big is the opening? This stuff is great (pardon the pun) but just sounds a little excessive. I would investigate just putting some sort of an end cap on the pipe, although that might require some pipe cutting and perhaps threading. There could be a couple of ways the pipe might have been connected to the pan, but since you were able to disconnect it - is it threaded? If it is, just screw a proper size end cap on it. Would look better and not as messy as Great Stuff.

Reply to
homeowners

Actually, there is no pipe (and subsequently no threading), a surprise to me. I had the work to replace the pan and redirect any overflow done by a contractor. I assumed (clearly bad move on my part) there was a pipe however when I just did some investigating there is not one. There is about a 2 inch hole that goes about 2-2.5 inches down into the plywood/wood floor of the closet and then nothing - the hole seems to just open up into space below.

I also did a little bit more research on plugging options (if the Great Stuff is excessive and messy)...would love to know your thoughts.

Thanks so much for your response!

Reply to
disqus_POoyJfmHwa

That sounds very much like an opening for a pipe, with the pipe already removed (perhaps by the contractor replacing the pan - it might have been on the way or for another reason). And the size of the opening pretty much makes your original choice - Great Stuff Triple Expanding - the best in my opinion. It is inexpensive enough, can be trimmed, painted, etc. The HD products you linked to all seemed a bit too much for the rather simple task. Just be sure to wear gloves and discard-able clothes. The foam is impossible to get out of fabric if it gets in there accidentally.

Reply to
homeowners

Awesome - thanks again for the response and tips. I will give it a try. Really appreciate the help. First time on this site and it really was exactly the type of support needed. Have a good one!

Reply to
disqus_POoyJfmHwa

Thank you very much for your feedback and good luck with the fix!

Reply to
homeowners