Painting Walls

I have always painted walls by using a brush around the outside along the junction with ceiling / skirting etc. and then doing the rest with a roller. Reading a paint tin yesterday they were suggesting doing it the other way, roller first then finish off around the outside with a brush.

This left me thinking, is there a right or wrong way and what do other people in the group do?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Cut in first with a brush and then finish off with a roller is what I do.

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
r.rain

Brush first, you'll cover some of the brush marks when you go over it with a roller. Roller first, you won't brush any more than you need to. I usually do brush first because I might be too bored or tired to cut in neatly when I've finished with the roller (or it might be dark by then).

Reply to
Rob Morley

Me too - there is obviously a difference between the finish you get with a roller and the finish with a brush. As you are doing most of the wall with a roller it makes sense to use that last as you will go over quite a bit of the paintwork you have already done, converting brush marks to roller marks making a larger amount of the wall all looking the same. If you did it the other way you would end up converting roller marks into brush marks and therefore would have a more noticable difference around the edges.

Reply to
Richard Conway

Brush first for me. Get the tedious precision bit done first then roller is an easy finish. Actually I most often just swap to a larger brush than a roller: small rooms don't take long, cleaning a good roller takes forever.

Reply to
DJC

That's what I do.

About an hour on a quick wash in the washing machine. Cleans them really well.

Reply to
<me9