Cover Concrete Block Garage Walls

The boss has decided that she is tired of looking at the two unpainted concrete block walls in our garage (one exterior, one interior). So my New Year's project is to come up with and install some kind of covering.

I was thinking maybe drywall or some sort of paneling- wood veneer or maybe hardboard/Masonite or some such.

I'm fairly handy and know my way around most tools, but am by no means a craftsman or finish carpenter.

Ideas? Installation tips?

Reply to
Wade Garrett

My first thought would be vinyl siding for the outside, paint for the insid e. If not paint, then drywall or paneling of your choice. A nice paint though would work for me, unless the garage is being used for some special purpose . Even public buildings like schools have painted block walls inside in most areas. Plus it's easily renewable, changeable, etc.

Reply to
trader_4

I called in Garage Tech:

and never regretted it.

I suppose you can do some of that yourself, but their process for the garage floor looked like it required some expertise.

If you want to stay with just the walls, I've seen those wall panels at Home Depot.

Reply to
Dan Espen

"parge" or stucco the walls? Venetian plaster?

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Perhaps a nice mural, on the outside .. :-)

John T.

Reply to
hubops

This is what we did on our addition. (inside and out) It came out great. The trick is you have to already have your electrical in place. I did that when they laid the block and before they poured the doweled cells and tie beam. It really looks like drywall and ended up being cheaper but it is very tough. Water will not hurt it and that was my interest at the time since this room is below "FEMA".

Reply to
gfretwell

On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 09:42:05 -0500, Wade Garrett wrote in

That would be nice.

Reply to
CRNG

Thanks for the suggestions, especially the easy solution of painting. That hadn't occurred to me; I'll try to sell it- but I'm not optimistic

And just to clarify, I'm talking about the walls on the *inside* of the garage only.

When I described one as exterior, what I meant was the other side of that wall was the outside of the house. I mentioned exterior only because I thought that it being pretty cold in the winter might affect what I could put on it or how to do it. The other interior wall has a laundry room on the other side.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Paint is the easiest. Is there any reason to insulate the walls? If so, quick and easy is

Glue up the panels and screw drywall to them. Works inside, outside can be stucco.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I took this to mean both walls were inside the garage but one was on a wall whose other side was outside the house. Am I right?

Everyone else who indicated seems to thinik the outside wall is outside the house.

Crushed velvet?.

Painted wallboard covered with beer bottle caps?

Reply to
micky

If the "Stucco" guy you hire is any good at all he can do the inside walls with a smooth finish that will look just like drywall once you paint it and it ends up being the cheapest option along with being the most durable.

Reply to
gfretwell