Hot water knob on the bathroom faucet is wonky

hi The hot water knob on my bathroom sink is not working correctly, something seems to have slipped out of alignment. If I move the hot water knob to the off position, the water runs, if I move it half way into the ON position, the water runs, if I move it all the way ON, the water stops. I opened up the knobs and removed the plastic pieces. See the pic. The picture shows the position where the water should be turned off (the fl at side of the metal spindle is facing out) Yet the the hot water is running. I can't visibly see where the problem is. Where do I make the adjustment? Thanks

strangways

replying to strangways, Iggy wrote: It could be a broken handle insert...that blue thing above the cold side. It could be that the red "C" should be facing forward, like the cold side's blue "C". Or, that the cartridge broke and needs to be replaced, the reason why the red "C" is out of position. Replace both cartridges if replacing any.

Reply to
Iggy

Your plumbing system is diffuse and damage.This basic reason to solve.

Reply to
Ruby Mia

I don't see any reason to replace the other one. These are not like left and right shock absorbers on a car. In fact in some places the cold gets opened much more often than the hot, and is likely to wear out first, but even if they were opened the same, it's the nature of things that one side might last much longer.

I can see buying the parts for both sides, so that he'll have it. Especially since I'm told they sell faucet replacement parts for what I consider a very short time.

Reply to
micky

If I bought both I'd replace both. If you don't, you may be dragging out the tools again in a week, in a year, but once you have the water off and tools there I'd just be done and not have to touch it for another 10 years. But tht's just me.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

replying to micky, Iggy wrote: I'd agree, but no harm in prevention if it's the age of the plastic that's the problem...it looks like an $8 part. Actually, hot almost always wears out first and especially for the plastic stuff. The heat causes much more reaction or more expansion and contraction on rubbers and plastics, where the cold has almost no reaction and things stay fairly stable.

Reply to
Iggy

I don't have any plastic in my faucets. Maybe they'll last longer. I don't know what the stem packing is made of.

Reply to
micky

replying to micky, Iggy wrote: Yeah, that's the way to be! I haven't had any failures in my ceramic disc and metal cartridges, so I'm still a big fan of that combination. However, I still have a few shower stems that are old brass with rubber washers, I only get

10-years out of those washers.
Reply to
Iggy