Sheetrock Detached Garage

I have garage that I'd like to finish the walls. The walls are 2x4 studs with black tar paper behind hardie plank siding. I'm not worried about insulation but would like a finished look on the walls.

Is there anything I need to do before applying the sheetrock? vapor barrier? Is insulation required?

This will be in Houston where the humidity is high (70 - 100%) most of the year..

Reply to
mook johnson

insulation is NOT required, but would be beneficial.

6 mil. plastic vapor barrier and 5/8" fire rated sheetrock would be your best approach.
Reply to
3GCPO

IMHO sheetrock, aside from low cost and fire resistance, is a lousy wall covering in a garage. In a damp climate, it takes on a musty odor, gets mushy, is easily damaged, etc. And unless there is power in the garage to run a heater or a/c, what purpose will insulation serve? In nice weather, just open the doors and maybe a gable vent to cool it off. I suspect there is more than just tar paper and Hardiplank- unless there are angle braces or plywood in corners, garage would rack before the roof went on. I'd almost bet what OP thinks is tar paper is really the back side of Celotex or similar. If I wanted a finished-looking interior, I'd check around the big-box stores and find a sale on that prefinished sheet stuff they make sheds out of (some sort of high compression OSB with a plastic weather layer), and panel out the inside with that. I would NOT do the ceiling unless there was a good way to vent the attic space- otherwise that dead space will superheat in summer, wearing out the shingles quicker, and making the garage too hot to work in before midnight.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

I think I would panel it with 7/16" OSB instead of sheetrock.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

I have a garage that was finished 15 years ago with 1/2" sheetrock on the walls. This fall/winter I did the third paint job inside since it was originally built. I did have a few places that I repaired from damage, some water damage along one wall too. I would go that way again. In your case I would spring for the insulation. It does not cost much, and it is the time to do it! At least insulate the walls, the ceiling can be easily blown in later. You also should consider what, if any attic venting there is. If there is none, do it now, it will be easy now! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

I recommend adding plenty of ridge vents for the roof, and lots of electrical outlets before you sheetrock. I'd do wall insulation for now just in case you later decide you need it. And why not stick in a wall mounted refrigeration unit before you sheetrock?

PJ

Reply to
PJx

I agree. OSB was my choice.

Well, sound deadening comes to mind. If you're the sort who likes to work in your garage late at night, having a way to tame the noise would be nice. Also, it keeps the temperature fluctuations within a narrower range.

Rob

Reply to
Specter