Garage / workshop

Fine people,

I have an integral garage the full width of the house. One day, I'd like to turn one end into a new kitchen (subject to plans + regs). However, as the chilly nights approach I'd like to put a divider in now to make a workshop. I only want to do this once so anyone know the current regs for a stud wall separating garage from workshop (one day kitchen). eg: Thickness of plasterboard, insulation, fire prevention and anything else. Might also want to put a door in so need firedoor and step down into garage. I know I could call building regs but Ive never spoken to them before and don't want to be rediculed/intimidated by a bunch of civil servants until absolutely necessary.

Any on-line resource for this kind of thing ?

Cheers for any help.

Tim

Reply to
tzd3sw

Building Control Officers are usually very approachable, particlarly for queries like your's. They'll let you know what they consider reasonable for the wall construction. I'd guess 25mm of plasterboard on a stud wall would be fine, or you could use light concrete block. Speak to them, though, as they might have different ideas.

Any doors will have to be fire doors with intumescent strips. There are lots of other issues that need to be addressed. For a start, you'll need to bring insulation up to date, including the floor, if you want the rooms created to be considered habitable.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I'd second that. You won't be ridiculed or intimidated, but you must recognise that you might get an answer you don't like.

You're rather trying to second guess what the regs might be 2, 5, 10 years away. I'd go for approval now and stop halfway through with the workshop, that way you should be meeting current regs and shouldn't have to modify things if the regs change in the meantime.

Reply to
Wanderer