Creating a doorway into integral garage from hallway

My friend has a detached house with integral garage which is used as a workshop/ storage area. Though the garage forms part of the house access is only from external doors. He wants to put the washing machine/laundry facilities in there and doesn't want to keep going outside and round the back to get into it.

He is not proposing to convert the garage to a living /normal room (no windows) and the metal up and over will remain.

Will he need to get Building Control involved to create the access? Not sure if the internal wall is structural, it may support joists but there are only stud walls on the floor above. He is intending to use a professional builder (if he can find one).

Are there any regulations about integral garages of which he might fall foul?

Any advice appreciated.

Roger

Reply to
Roger R

Yes, fire rating of the wall and door (including automatic door closer), and there has to be something like a 6" step down into the garage to prevent spilled fuel running back under the fire door into the house. If the garage and house floors are at the same level, I don't know if a 6" threshold between the two would be acceptable.

I'm not certain, but I would expect these fire aspects would make the change notifiable to building control.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

His house insurance co. might have a thought on this, unless he is planning to fit better security to either the new door, or the garage door.

Reply to
Al Reynolds

I believe the floor level of a connected garage has to be 300mm lower than the main house, in case of flammable vapour. Possibly a high threshold door might suffice though?

Reply to
Steve Walker