What brand of breakers have red and blue levers

My neighbor has a breaker box in his barn and the breakers have red and blue levers. He cant identify the box, said the box was painted when they sprayed the barn, and there are no label in the inside of the door. The blue are 15A the red 20A. He pulled out one of the breakers and said the label on it is so worn and the print so tiny that it can not be read. I know I have seen these, but I am not sure of the brand either. Does anyone know?

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

RBM

Murry used to have colored handles.

Reply to
SQLit

Murray used to have red and blue handles on their "twins"

Reply to
RBM

Zinsco breakers were color coded, blue for 15 A, red for 20 A, among others. A unique style popular in California in the 50s and 60s. I think the company was taken over by Sylvania.

Reply to
Bob

Damn good point, I'd forgotten about them. If he's located on the west coast, where Zinsco was made, there is a good chance, that is what he has.

Reply to
RBM

If they are Zinsco, he's better off replacing the panel with something that actually works. Zinsco breakers are notorious for not tripping, and apparently had their UL rating pulled as a result.

Zinsco panels are also notorious for having the breakers fall out when you remove the cover, as well as having the busses arc where the breaker makes contact.

Another notorious offender is Federal Pacific Stab-Loc breakers, which are also known for not tripping.

here are some links:

Zinsco panels

Zinsco breaker in the process of burning up.
Electrical contractor forum on Zinsco panels, including photos of burned busses.
Federal Pacific Stab-Lok breakers info

Side view of a Murray breaker

top view of a Murray double pole (full sized) breaker

Bob Vaughan

Just for the records, the box turned out to be a Westinghouse. The breaker style is sort of the generic type used in Cutler hammer, and something called "home design" or something like that. It was not the breakers that were the problem anyhow.

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

Westinghouse is one of those "universal " panels that will interchange with Sylvania, Murray,GE, homeline, Bryant, and a number of others. Cutler Hammer is not a universal, in fact standard CH breakers don't even fit in all Cutler Hammer panels. A few years ago Cutler Hammer bought Bryant and sells the Bryant breakers which are universal as: Cutler Hammer "BR"

Reply to
RBM