what is happening?

"...can the people who are making stupid comments piss off ...."

I made a similar request in a thread about plastic plumbing some months ago, mostly the same people. I think the answer was no; they can't control themselves.

Reply to
Aidan

This is an unmoderated newsgroup. On the whole, the s/n ratio is very good. If you don't like what someone has to say, killfile them. If you don't like a thread, ignore it.

But don't tell people what they should/shouldn't post.

Reply to
Grunff

In message , mark bay writes

Not really newbiesan

Most people who post here have been here an awful lot longer than you. When the same questions come up week after week, people get bored

Now f*ck off if you don't like it, or settle down and join in. I didn't notice much in the way of contributions from you

Yes, and, take this in the constructive way it's meant - stop being a tosser

Reply to
raden

In message , Aidan writes

UK.d-i-y is a collection of individuals who are at liberty to sat what they want

lead the way pak aidan, you've been relatively quiet, and we await constructive posts from you

Reply to
raden

recomendations for

boilers......?

Reply to
Aidan

boilers......?

I rest my case.

Reply to
Aidan

In message , Aidan writes

Do what you want - your contributions have been sadly lacking despite your claims of expertise

either make some useful contribution or stop moaning

Reply to
raden

The words pot, kettle and black come to mind here.

Reply to
Aidan

Mark Bay's obituary notice

Unfortuntely Mark Bay the super talented Diyer was found dead in his garage this morning.....his body was hanging by a length of 2.5mm Twin and earth wrapped roung his neck (Bought from screwfix days earlier)......apparently he had offended some tossers on the uk diy newsgroup and just could't face living with the shame and guilt..

nah just kidding i'm still here........tee hee

Reply to
mark bay

The rot sets in with IMM. If everybody just ignored him, things would be fine.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

earlier)......apparently

Oh Bugger !!! :-( Here was me starting to believe it. :-) LOL !!! I was going to say "You didn't want to do it like" You should 'ave used 4 mm csa' cos' it's a lot stronger, and it doesn't stretch as much as the 2.5 mm does with that size load pulling on it. :-) ROFL !!!

Reply to
BigWallop

Hmmm interesting dilemma really....

For regular readers of this group there would be little need to ask what boilers are recommended since this is a FAQ that usualy elicits much the same set of suggestions.

Regular readers are also well aware of IMMs track record, and his tendency to post advertising copy without much analytical thought, and so would take any recommendations and statements of "fact" with a pinch of salt.

The newbie however may not have read the recommendations for boilers, but then also they may not have encountered our pet troll and may accept the "wisdom" offered and go off an do something silly, like install a collection of boilers with complete disregard for the gas supply they have available, or install a "high flow rate combi" only to find that their mains cold water supply is not up to it.

One of the great strengths of this group is the diverse range of multi-disciplinary skills the contributors have. If someone makes a suggestion, then you can be fairly certain that any omissions / errors / additional information required will be pointed out in short order.

Well suggest a solution, allow someone to spout misinformation without correction on the grounds most of us have heard it before, shame about the newbie, or deal with the issues (again) and hack off the the folks who can't work out when to skip a thread that has reached the point of generating more heat than light?

By all accounts they are good.

others that folks round these parts like are Valiant, Ideal, Man / EcoHometec, Kestron, Gloworm...

Reply to
John Rumm

Someone on an earlier post asked quite reasonably about recomendations for combi boilers.........a couple of sensible comments came in reply.........and then total rubbish. Come on people can we cut out all the crap and answer questions like adults or can the people who are making stupid comments piss off to the latest celebrity chat rooms and talk about how much weight Vanessa Feltz has lost recently....

Sorry but had to say it.

By the way would you recommend Worcester bosch condensing boilers......?

Reply to
mark bay

If the posters asking the same old questions again and again would only take at least a look at Google they would most likely find the answer to their question without provoking yet another waste of bandwidth. Then again if you consider things more fully, we have amongst our regulars a few sensible and down to earth engineers, plus a loon who claims to be an expert in everything but steadfastly avoids giving ANY clues as to what he is qualified in or where he obtained his qualifications and has the dubious distinction of first appearing in the group asking questions about such basic things as what is latent heat and being unable to understand the difference between flow and volume, you may feel its perhaps best to avoid setting off yet another yah-boo-sucks thread.

Reply to
John

I've had a Greenstar 28HE for about a year. It has operated faultlessly.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I see you are learning some basic lessons at last.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The message from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

Which was some time ago. If the foolish e-mail John Burns-Curtis (then calling himself Adam) sent me is any guide it was in the spring of 2000.

The problem with ignoring dIMM is that there is always the possibility that newcomers might actually believe what he says and fit 100l baths fed by 2 combis in bathrooms lined with a foot of insulation (to mention only a few of his dim beliefs.

Reply to
Roger

Well, not all people know that they can Google - or even if they do their first port of choice would be to come straight to the groups where they hope for personal advice.

If the past posts on Google, together with the FAQ, have all the information anyone could want and no-one ever comes here the ng is likely to turn into complaints about Scewfix, Focus and YKW.

There are irritating posts, there are bad mannered replies. They can be ignored. I'm amazed that I'm not ignored more.

On the whole I find uk.d-i-y the best tempered ng I know and have learned a huge amount from it - and made some good friends. It's wonderful resource.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In article ,

Yes, my main interest in uk.d-i-y is lurking-to-learn.

Reply to
Tony Williams

"mark bay" wrote | Mark Bay's obituary notice | Unfortuntely Mark Bay the super talented Diyer was found dead in | his garage this morning.....his body was hanging by a length of | 2.5mm Twin and earth wrapped roung his neck

Well that's a breach of regulations, electrocuted bodies should be suspended by a purpose designed bracket with a secondary safety chain, and there should be a flexible metal bonding strap in addition to the circuit protective conductor.

Owain

Reply to
Owain