what is happening?

Suggestion; A dedicated IMM thread(s) with links to the many idiosyncratic IMMisms (hacksaws to cut PEX, etc., etc.,) in other threads and the differing opinions of other contributors posted in those threads. Posting a link when he starts going should prevent the subject getting swamped with posts which are solely disagreeing with IMM. The main disadvantage is that the IMM thread is liable to be swamped with contributions from the great man himself, but that might divert his attention.

Maybe a section on great IMMisms in the FAQs?

I'm programmed to ignore himm, my eyes glaze over. The prolonged disagreements he regularly provokes are a PITA.

Any more suggestions?

Reply to
Aidan

Exactly. That's why is best to just have as single dIMM alert in every thread he posts to.

"Warning: This thread contains traces of nuts"

etc.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You probably are... but, by definition, you wouldn't know about it.. ;-)

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew J. Newton

It's not amazing AISI. You don't reply AFAIK or "your FAQ is rubbish".

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I suggest a voluntary limit of one posting per thread per OP's post and one post per poster to correct anything wrong especially if a potentially dangerous practice or idea is suggested.

Not if you genuinely forgot something of course but in order to stop ding-dong threads. Whilst it is true we would have no ding-dong threads if one specific poster retired it is also true that ding-dong threads need at least 2 players.

So:

Newbie: Sensible reply poster 1: Humourous reply poster 2: Sensible reply poster 3: Sensible reply 4: (the subject has now been fully done to death) dIMM's post: (Possibly suggesting impractical or even dangerous practices). Correction by poster 1: Correction poster 2: Correction poster 3: dIMM's inlflamed reply: (probably incorporating "snip drivel" or "ignore these amateurs" NO FURTHER POSTS by posters 1-4. ... ... Newbie posts: (seeking clarification etc). a further round of posts may be occur.

I think this is workable, allows for correction of potentially dangerous stuff and should prevent (ding-dong)*n style threads.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I think that sounds a lot more like a job than a hobby - we'd need to discuss hours and pay before I'd want to go along with this.

Reply to
Grunff

How about, "This thread is on Topic.... it has a nut in every byte".

Reply to
John Rumm

Perhaps they hadn't provided him with Part P.

Or whatever.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

OK, I'm surprised that I'm not ignored 100%.

:-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Oh, sorry, I didn't know the rules.

I promise to do better next time.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 22:24:32 -0000, "Mary Fisher" strung together this:

I ignore most of your gossip if that helps.

Reply to
Lurch

What ?

:-)

Reply to
Mike

Ah - part S reveals itself. Hope the DPM is first to test it.

Reply to
Mike

Just a thought, but how about all regular posters agree and adopt a common posting signature, something like, oh:

----- Please search the uk.d-i-y archives at

and the uk.d-i-y FAQ at
before posting a question!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Can't think where you got that idea from. 8-)

Also we need a "How to choose a heating system. FAQ" this could be used to cull a number of threads early on, and an especially high proportion of the threads that go "ding-dong".

Reply to
Ed Sirett

ROFL - if so, completely subconsiously!

But why not..........?

Mm. Quite a few areas of the FAQ could do with expanding I'd say. By what mechanism does this happen?

David

-- Please search the uk.d-i-y archives at

and the uk.d-i-y FAQ at
before posting a question!

Reply to
Lobster

I used Unibond bathroom and shower sealant from the local shed. Expensive at 8 quid a go but it's so bloody waterproof it's v.difficult to smooth it after application 'cos it sticks to

*everything*. Flexible too, the only thing that broke it in our case was for some reason the shower tray managed to drop a few mm (don't ask why, I dunno yet!) and the stuff stretched and broke the grout on the surrounding tiles resulting in much leakage.....

The moral to this tale is if yer tray doesn't drop this stuff is good! IMO obviously.

cheers

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Mike

Yes, definitely a good idea - Phil Addison does post an occasional pointer to the FAQ website; I think it would be great if it happened monthly

Reply to
Lobster

Someone writes something and gives it to Phil for the FAQ, or Phil grabs any particularly suitable postings and massages them into FAQ format. I'd suggest talking with Phil first, just in case someone else is already working on the same section.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Alternatively you can write one, by yourself or cooperatively. You can host it yourself and then have pointers added from the main FAQ.

Reply to
Ed Sirett