Ironite Questions?

Page 5 of 11
On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 12:07:50 -0400, "Steve Young" <bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet> wrote:

So, aren't you concerned about spreading what is considered to be an invasive species?
Penelope

Brought over in about 1650. I note the forest has changed due to red worms and the way the forest recycles leaves. Still 400 years ago? I'd worry about great lake bilges from world wide shipping traffic.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

The forests have not all changed. There was an article in a National Geographic about a fern whose numbers are dropping in Minnisota, I think. It's a "canary in the coal mine" for the spread of _Lumbricus rubellus_.
The recommendations I've found suggest freezing all earthworm castings for several days to a week to kill the worms and cocoons. I've been trying to find out more information on native earthworms here in South Carolina and see if I can adapt some sort of vermiculture to their use. Other than, you know, the compost piled on the ground.
Penelope

Nah, they are most everywhere now. And they don't like heavy clay soil. If fed, they pretty much stay put.
On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 14:31:02 -0400, "Steve Young" <bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet> wrote:

How can you get completely hysterical about the damage that one product does to the enviroment but not give a flaming fart about another product that is causing the extinction of understory plants in some of our forests?
Penelope

You really are a steaming pile of equine excrement. He never said that. you attributed it to him. Do voices tell you these things? Maybe you should put your foil hat back on, bwahaha ;O)
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Why? Not everyone has the time or the free access you appear to have to organic...er...materials. Should they be banned from trying to garden organically?

I don't use bone meal or blood meal for much the same reason. I did go quite a long distance this spring to get a bag of pelleted soil amendment that was made from a blend of cotton seed meal and other goodies like that because it didn't use bone or blood meal. It's still kinda high in nitrogen, though, so I used it on the lawn this spring, and set aside a bit to till into the vegetable garden this winter. I figure it will have been broken down enough by spring that the nitrogen won't be a problem.

Maria has already described the steps she takes to incorporate compost and yard clippings into her garden. I use horse manure, although I have no one to deliver it, and must find the time to go and load lots of buckets and trash cans, as many as I can fit into my car. Both of us still find a need for store bought products once in a while.
I don't use cover crops or green manures because I find the horse manure already raises the nitrogen in the soil higher than makes me happy. I can't get yard litter from the city compost pile anymore, it proved to be such a popular item that the city charges for it, even for a few grocery bagfuls. Well, I shouldn't say "can't", I could, but I refuse to pay what they're charging for a product of marginal quality.
As to begging for...um...materials from cafeteria employees, high or cold sober, for me it's mostly a time issue. Bully for you that you have the luxury of time to do things like that. I don't right now.
I would like you to explain the difference to the bacteria, fungi, and the like between store bought organic products and...uh...materials you sponged off someone for free?

Along as it's not frothing...
Penelope

Nonsense.

Begging na just saving. You may not have time is a misnomer. Slow and steady comes to mind and forget instant gratification. Takes time and work your job or your hand.

I provide with less effort. Sponged just earned you my disrespect.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

[...]

ahh, the beauty of driving an old clunker

You and your significant other ???

Why do you insert your life / lifestyle over that of the thread originator? She said she was retired. I would think the purpose of this thread is to discuss all options / alternatives. After all, we landed on greensand as a better substitute to her original query on Ironite.

It's no contest with red worms, they prefer garbage any day. Perhaps you're foolish enough to feed them store bought produce? ;)
Steve Young
On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 14:29:51 -0400, "Steve Young" <bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet> wrote:

Or not.

No, the other person in the paragraph that you split up.
<...>

Because Bill addressed his comments to me, not to her. Does your newsreader not thread properly?

I'm sorry, I didn't see the post where she announced she had found a local dealer.

Why do you insert your life/lifestyle over that of Bill, to whom this was addressed?
Penelope
snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com says...

Why bother with this at all?
It's not going to go anywhere, so it's not worth the energy.
Your killfile is your friend.

There are no local dealers. No one has it here. I would have to have it shipped and that's not feasible.
"Steve Young" <bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet> wrote in message

I cannot find greensand locally. I called every store I could think of that may carry ... see above. Only one place knew what it was but wont order small amounts.

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 02:47:44 -0500, "Marie Dodge"

Yesterday I bought a bag of Medina granular fertilzer, certified organic, for 20 dollars and it covers up to 4,000 square feet.

You use one tablespoon per gallon of water. That bottle will last a few years!

Oh, then forget it. Are you on welfare?

So use the Ironite.

How nice! Nothing like that here. Clue #2 = not everyone has stores in their area that sell organic fertilizers.

You're kidding right? One gallon is enough FE for 3 container Tomatoes for one watering!

Are you retired and living on SS?

I am. ;-) I wanted to know your issues with the product. Has anyone died from using it in their gardens? Any children suffer from lead inhalation? Is it being found in veggies grown in soil containing Ironite? I ask a question and I get a load of people suggesting I purchase all kinds of expensive products only those with good incomes can afford. I took people's advice on another Forum to use Organics when the insect infestation started and wasted over $30 on Neem Oil and Pyrethrum. Neither product made a difference. All they did was give the insects an unbeatable head start (as I waited for results) and destroy the garden. By the time I turned to chemicals it was too late. The plants were totally overrun with spider mites and whitefly.
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 02:47:44 -0500, Marie Dodge wrote:

No as expensive as putting unsafe chemicals on your crops.

Organic fertilizers do not keep insect infestations from occurring.

Marie Dodge wrote:

The theory is that lack of organic nutrients stresses the plants, and insect pests are attracted to stressed-out plants. The latter part seems to be true. The first part is a little iffy but it's not totally false either.
Bob

That's all it is - a theory. I've been gardening since 1958 and have seen insects attracted to the healthiest plants you can imagine. Pests are opportunists. If they're in the area they will attack plants be they healthy or unhealthy.
The latter part

And it's not totally true either. My gardens are loaded with organic matter, yet this year the insects in one garden are totally uncontrollable. I should have used a good chemical spray as soon as I saw the first insects and spiders in stead of wasting several weeks with organic oils and powders that did nothing. All they did was give the pests a good head start, to the point the garden was a total loss by the time the ag agent recommended a good chemical spray. More organic matter will be added this fall and for no other reason than to help our heavy clay soil support veggies.