Ironite Questions?

Page 2 of 11

Oh hee hee, i get it now, the Dodger is a standard issue troll! One of those guys who never had enough attention from their mommies! He slipped right past me with that good basic troll-trick of pretending to be female human such as might deserve to be taken seriously for a minute. Cuz you just can't overestimated human capacity for iggerunce and worth trying to help such an "invalid" at least once before they're sent into the land of the plonked.
Sometimes trolls are FUNNY since living in their mommy's basement & never having been on a date, they have lots of time to think up puns between posts. Punning is wayyy important to trolls and twelve year olds, but Dodgy One seems to have only hit age ten. Since none of it's witty even on childhood's level, I'm now only reading whoever responds to the trollings as the perpetrator lacks even the usual low level of troll charm to waste time reading. If you get witty on his ass I'll notice that though.
-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com
Marie Dodge said:

Yes, but some things are cheap at twice the price, and sometimes shipping is nowhere near equal to the cost of the item shipped (even these days).
Consider Maxicrop seaweed *powder* where you avoid paying to ship water:
http://www.arbico-organics.com/1313001.html
Get it shipped by priority mail. It's cheaper.
(I would have recommended The Eclectic Gardener, as a satisfied customer, but they are sold out of Maxicrop powder. )
http://www.eclectic-gardener.com/maxicroppowder.html
I buy this mail order *even though* I have seen liquid kelp on sale locally, because it is so much less expensive (in the long run) to buy the dry powder even considering shipping, and because the dry powder is so much more convenient to store.

After enlightenment, the laundry.

The product is $14.75 and shipping is $11.50 = $27.25!

If I ever play and win the Lottery maybe I can afford some of this high priced organic stuff. :)

I'm in Lowe's and Home Depot regularly and yet haven't seen any of these organic fertilizers. Perhaps there isn't enough call for them here. Or they're so expensive people wont pay the price. Twice I bought the liquid Iron and twice it turned into a tinny smelling liquid once opened, with white stuff like scale in it at the bottom. That was when I switched to Ironite.

Marie Dodge said:

shipping
That much lasts me two or three years. (And my quoted shipping by USPS was only $7.00.) It's equivalent to many *gallons* of liquid seaweed.
I wouldn't transplant anything without it. Greens up the occasional plant that goes chlorotic. Promotes general vigor as a foliar feed.

If you gardened on a sand pit like mine, it wouldn't make sense to fertilize any other way...rain will leach anything soluable right away, which is money down the drain (almost literally).
My main fertilizer in the vegetable garden is alfalfa (pellets), supplemented by Maxicrop and all the compost and mulch I can make from autumn leaves collected all around the neighborhood. Still have some bags of leaves way in the back from last fall, which will go into more batches of compost as the sweetcorn stalks get pulled.
15 or so years ago I was able to give the veggie garden a heavy dose of greensand, but I was lucky at the time to be able to buy it locally in 40 pound bags. Doubt if I could afford that now, as no one seems to carry it in big bags anymore and the freight costs on that would be really astronomical. I wish that weren't the case, though...

That's the beauty of a dry powder. Sits there on the shelf so you can mix it up as needed.

After enlightenment, the laundry.

My quoted shipping was $11.50 cheapest way. You must live closer to the place. How large is your garden and how often do you spray it?

I understand. Where I live it's a poor droughty clay. We had to till in loads and loads of organic matter to grow anything. It was forest when I bought this land many years ago. It's only the last few years we're really getting into vegetable gardening. I just started canning again this year. Now that we're retired we have more time - but less money. :( We're living on SS and the few extra bucks he makes helping out a friend once a week or so. A a small savings account for emergency use. To someone working full time, or your average Yuppie, the cost of organic stuff is affordable. To the retired, unless they have "other income," it's just too darn expensive.

I have the same problem! I have to have everything shipped and that is not possible anymore. I even had to order a canner through Ace Hardware in town. I was surprised to find canning jars at Wal*Mart. This area of my county is no longer agricultural. Farmers give up in disgust to droughts and pest invasions and the high cost of fuel and pesticides. Where farms once were I see subdivisions full of Yuppies. Cattle farms have turned into huge shopping Malls. The stores cater to them... not to us looking for organic garden products. These newcomers hire Lawn Services and never dirty their hands.

How large is your garden and how often do you spray it?

The relationship between product cost and shipping. You seem to refuse to pay shipping, yet willing to spend for a wrong product. Example: Pat tried to help you below, but something was wrong that :(

You're joking? We are trying to teach you cheaper-better but you are recalcitrant. Nothing works but what you have your mind set on :(
Here we are, off to Lowes again :(

Where? 100 feet from your front door?
I've given you leads and links to many.

Probably because they are not familiar with the chemistry. Does that mean you have to use it too?
What did you find out about the other places I pointed you to? How was talking with Eric?
As others have pointed out, your problem probably is not an iron deficiency. I agree, it's more likely a magnesium deficiency coupled with a nitrogen deficiency as the summer wears on and the soil gets dry. Magnesium is required for iron absorption. But hell, heap on the Ironite, at least you can find that with your eyes closed and you'll feel better that you're doing something.
Sprinkle some Epsom salt, rather than Ironite. Water it in and I'll bet you'll see the difference this year. Prolly within a week or two.
Steve Young
"Steve Young" <bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet> wrote in message wrote

Nothing was wrong with it. I didn't say anything was "wrong" with it.

I'm joking that I'm retired on a limited income? Why would I joke about it?

Yes! The store must be in my driveway. ;-)

Haven't we been through this before? If someone dies and leaves me an inheritance I'll buy expensive stuff and have it shipped.

It means we can't afford expensive supplements plus shipping.

I have no way to get to Eric's business so why call him? Would he trade me some soil amendments for some boxes of left over yard sale stuff?

The Soil Test Report didn't list Iron this time so I don't know. The soil PH is 7 and that was good. The Report says to add 5 lbs Ammonium Nitrate per 1000 sq. ft before planting (my fall garden).

I don't know who "heaped" it on, do you? 1 lb is "heaping" it on? You're WRONG about Magnesium. It's 64+ so not recommended I add more.

WRONG!!!! I am not to add Magnesium. Only nitrogen was low as I suspected.

???? By that do you mean clay that is/was drought affected?
wrote in message

It called "droughty" because it doesn't hold moisture unless loads and loads of organic matter are incorporated, which we do before using a spot for gardening. It's a fine clay that's like powder. When dry it's like concrete. It's really crappy soil. But once organic matter is incorporated and it's fertilized, the plants grow like crazy if given enough moisture.
Marie Dodge said:

Let's see... I used to use more Maxicrop than I do now. After 18 seasons of adding compost, mulch, and organic fertilizers, the soil is still very sandy, but much improved from what it was, at least in the top 18 inches. Below that, it's pure sand for at least 10 feet, probably more. (I live on top of a fossil sand dune, which was on the shoreline from thousands of years ago when Lake Erie-to-be was much bigger.)
A good soak at transplant (I transplant everything other than corn, squash, and beans). A light sprinkle a week or so later.
One or two foliar sprays during the season, all over. (This used to be more frequently done. I've cut back.)
Spot treatments for any plants that "look like they need it."
I have 18 intensively planted beds (each roughly 4 by 8 feet) plus one long narrow bed (20 by 3 feet), plus a herb area, and also two beds of raspberries. Several of the garden beds get both spring and fall crops. It's all worked by hand with a broad fork (no power tillers).
The flower gardens (there are a bunch of them) might get one spray in the spring, and any transplants get the same treatment as the veggie transplants.
The garden is looking a bit sad right now, as we are hurting for rain. Can't fix that with seaweed spray...

After enlightenment, the laundry.
Would anyone like some cheese to go with the whine?

I didn't hear a whine. I heard a gardener talking about gardening experiences. But when you came in, the cheese was loud and clear.
You should chat up the Purulent Primrose since you both seem to enjoy gratuitous sarcasm and misstatements.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Billy said:

snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com>,

I thought the weather was always safe to talk (or grumble) about....

After enlightenment, the laundry.
Sorry Pat, I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to Marie's constant whine & her inability to accept the help she asked for.

You mean her inability to pay for all the expensive supplements she was directed to purchase rather than simply answer the questions she asked.

I'll second the motion ;O)
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Yeah, we don't want people to know how useless so many of the organic potions here are - do we?
Marie Dodge wrote:

So, do you go to the nursery and ask the manager, "Where's the most expensive and useless 'organic' products you have? That's what I want; I'm gonna show those r.g idiots how full of shit they are!"
You're buying the wrong stuff because you want it to fail.
Bob

Of course it does. I listened to you organic fanatics instead of calling my ag agent as soon as the pests appeared instead of giving them all those weeks to reproduce.
I don't use any pesticides, organic or synthetic and

Because you have no spider mites and whitefly in your gardens. I had no problems before this summer either.
Snip your foaming drooling blather................. SNIP!
On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 08:29:53 -0400, Pat Kiewicz wrote:

That was before the weather became political.