Ironite Questions?

Page 1 of 11
Ironite v. a liquid. What problems have you people had with Ironite? What is the issue with this product? If it's dangerous, how is it legal to sell for use in gardens? Is there any other type of iron to add to the soil/compost besides liquids? With large gardens, sprinkling "iron" water over the plants several times during the season isn't practical.
On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 21:32:09 -0500, "Marie Dodge"

They sell horticultural grade molassas and that is what I use for iron. Since my pH is high I also use magnesium along with it in order to provide more availablity in the soil. You can broadcast magnesium in the form of epsom salt and if you dilute it enough, you can use molassas in a hose end sprayer.
Ironite contains levels of arsenic I am not willing to use. It will help kill soil organisms along with larger fauna in the gardens. I avoid it. There are plenty of websites you can read with pro and con on the subject of ironite.

You spray sticky diluted molasses on the plants in summer? How can you know how much iron the plants are getting and how often do you do it? Also, how to you keep from drawing insects with something like molasses? Here we'd have problems with things like raccoons and possums.

OK. I will Google them but just want you to know I've used it here for at least 15 years and have seen no problems. The gardens are still full of toads and box turtles. Moles are still a serious pest at times. Earthworms and grubs thrive.....
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 23:42:05 -0500, "Marie Dodge"

One tablespoon to a gallon of water as a foliar spray along with liquid seaweed. I have opossums and raccoons in my yard and they don't have problems.

Why did you ask a question if you already know the answer?

Mine don't have problems either, I have a problem with them.... they eat my veggies! = O How often are you spraying your garden with the Molasses? They don't sell liquid seaweed where I live. I don't care to start ordering things online because the shipping is often as much as the items to be shipped.

I asked what the issues were, the problems with Ironite since I haven't had any problems using it.
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 20:11:06 -0500, "Marie Dodge"

Lowe's and Home Depot both sell liquid seaweed. Gardens alive sells it on their website. Horticultural molasses is not as heavy as baking molasses and is still black strap with the iron still in it. I spray about every ten days.
I don't have a problem with animals eating things in the garden. I'm not implying you don't have a problem with it, just that I don't. I am honored they feel safe enough to be here. Maybe that's why they don't eat everything? I don't know. My dog when alive ate far more of my tomatoes than any coon or opossum.

Oh, I use the Ironite once a year. It's turned over with the fertilizer and organic matter. I'll see what Seaweed costs. I may not be able to afford to spray a 900 to 100 sq. ft of garden every 10 days with it. To spray the plants lightly takes 3 to 4 gallons of water. More organic fertilizers are now being priced outside our budget. I can no longer afford bone and blood meal. Organic gardening is becoming something for those of higher incomes, not for the retired.

I' d be more honored if they ate their natural diet and not my veggies. Wild turkeys were out under the pear tree today munching on the fallen pears. Actually we don't suffer too much damage from animals.
Maybe that's why they

Being financially constrained as you are, don't you look out there and see turkey dinner? Hell, if I were in your shoes, it wouldn't be long before I smelled it cooking, right along side the sweet tators and dressing ;)))
"Steve Young" <bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet> wrote in message wrote

We haven't got the heart to shoot them. It's also illegal..... but we've been tempted. The plump sleek deer we sometimes see walking an old deerpath about 25 feet into the woods behind our house also look tasty. ;-)

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 02:19:17 -0500, "Marie Dodge"

You are overusing Ironite. I mean, use it if you want, but you are wasting money by using it too often. What are the symptoms you get which tell you to apply Ironite yearly?

What do scavengers eat naturally?

The plants are not a good rich green color once planted out in the gardens. The get paler as summer passes. The soil is alkaline from natural limestone locking up any iron in the soil. By late summer they're almost chlorotic. That doesn't happen with Ironite. Also, our Hollies and Azaleas would die from chlorosis before we started using sulfur and Ironite. I did buy some stuff for Hollies and Azaleas this year. I didn't use the Ironite on them. But who knows what poisons are in any of these products? There's no way to know. How can I even know what's in the 10-10-10 I buy?

That depends on which scavenger you're talking about. Even humans can fit into that category. Insects and bugs are the worst garden pests here, not animals.

Sure you can try to over ride this limitation but it requires energy aka money. AND the odds are not in your favor.
<http://www.demesne.info/Garden-Help/Solutions/Soil/Alkaline-Soils.htm
<http://www.gardeninghelpuk.com/plants_for_acid_soil.htm
What state do you reside in?
I have to deal with Acid here in NJ.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

I'm on limestone rock in TN. As the Azaleas died I haven't replaced them. The Hollies are doing great in their mix of compost, sand, clay soil and Ironite. Now that we have the Internet I look up plants before I buy them. They shouldn't be selling plants here that need acid soil.

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 14:42:03 -0500, "Marie Dodge"

Oh, this explains it. You are trying to grow plants which absoltely detest those conditions. If you use 1/4 cup of black strap molassas with 1/2 cup of epsom salts to a gallon of water you will be providing the iron you need. The magnesium helps unlock to soils iron. There is plenty there. Ironite, if used, should only be used once every three to five years or you risk overdoing it. Ironite kills soil biota which is far more important than using Ironite to green things up. If you use a quality fertilizer like Medina you will be in a much better position. However, you've come up with many excuses or reasons to continue using Ironite so maybe this discussion should end. It's a waste of time.

Humans are not scavengers. Scavengers eat anything, including carion. Humans are omnivores and we're on the top of the food chain.

Magnesium (Epsom Salts) is added at planting time for the veggies and flowers. No more shrubs will be planted as they need too much water in this climate.
Ironite, if used, should only be used once every

I found no sites showing Ironite kills soil biota, frogs, turtles, birds, earthworms, grubs or anything else that may wander into a garden.
If you use a quality fertilizer like Medina you will be in a much

Unless you can prove that to me, and then loan me several hundred dollars to buy it - why push it on me? So far I've tried several organic things that someone on these groups and forums told me worked and it was bullcrap. Then when these expensive useless products don't work, you pro-organic fanatics get pissed off and insist they worked for their mother's neighbor's son's father-in-law's cousin.........
Why didn't you just answer the questions I asked in stead of trying to push your favorite soil amendments off on me? I already have several loads of free organic matter to go into the garden this fall. How many people have been sickened or killed by Ironite? Where are the statistics children are somehow ingesting lead from Ironite treated soil? Where are the studies? Very little Ironite is needed. You seem to think 50lb sacks are dumped in the gardens. One coffee can full does one whole garden for the season.

OK, we don't have wolves here but do have Buzzards. The buzzies don't bother gardens. Humans in their natural state will eat almost anything other than carrion.

And this has WHAT to do with the issues concerning the use of Ironite?
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 17:43:50 -0500, "Marie Dodge"

I am going to say this one last thing;
Oh for fuck sake go away.

Why? Because I'm not a rabid organic fanatic? I see how you side-stepped the questions concerning Ironite.
x-no-archive: yes Marie Dodge wrote:

If you're nice, I'll show you my pesticide collection. :-) Chlordane, dursban, diazinon, nicotine sulfate, Cygon, lindane, all kinds of stuff you can't buy anymore. Pretty brown bottles. The thing is though, I try to see just how *little* I can get by with. (the chlordane and dursban are being saved in case i ever have to deal with subterranean termites; that's the only thing I'll use them for.)
I haven't used any pesticides this year except on my apple tree (and that didn't work very well, next year I'm gonna try sticky traps)
As to the Ironite, it contains arsenic and other heavy metals that accumulate in the soil. Use it once is probably OK. Keep using it, and the soil arsenic levels just get higher and higher. Do you know what Ironite is? Mine tailings from a toxic waste dump in Arizona (or maybe it's New Mexico.) Instead of cleaning it up, they put it in 5# bags and sell it to unsuspecting gardeners.
Bob

Oh! Oh! Get an infestation of Argentine Ants, and you won't have to worry about termites *or* fire ants!
No pesticides!
No worries!
Except for, you know, an Argentine Ant infestation.
(They *are* easier to live with than fire ants, but damn, if they aren't the best little aphid farmers I've ever seen.)
Penelope

Agreed! I use as little as possible and only when nothing else works.

Fortunately nothing has bothered our pear tree.

It was the only Iron I could find that wasn't a liquid.