Latest threads in Building Constructionshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

outdoor tankless water heater
Are outdoor tankless water heaters allowed on a zero lot line wall? I know windows are not allowed, but a neighbor just installed a tankless heater on the outside wall.
1
1

load bearing wall with single top plate
Can an existing partition wall with a single top plate be used as a load bearing wall if strengthened? I was considering inserting 2x4 blocking between each stud (studs are 16 o.c.) and nailing them...
1
1

3/4" clean stone
How much does 1 yard of 3/4" clean stone weigh?

Suggestions? House Exterior Covering
or What's a cheap way to make the exterior of this old asphalt-composition siding house look modern and decent? The way the house is situated, only the sides that are showing need covering. The back...
1
1

Detritis (crap) falling into living room
I have had this fire in place for 14 years, recently the coals on fire have been subjected to detritus (stuff) coming down the chimney flume and falling into the fire, and often then into the living...

Insulation recommendation for detached garage
I have a detached garage that is framed with wood as well as concrete board siding. I was wanting to insulate the area for a hydroponic garden that I have but was concerned with the moisture getting...

3/4" plywood weight capacity
Building a platform bed for a Queen size bed. Using 3/4" CDX for the platform in 2 pieces. 40" wide x 60" long Supported on both 40" spans, but only 1 of the 60" spans. Will this work? or do I need to...
2
2

Alaska Coal Stove Recalls
Can someone tell me how I can find out if there has been any recalls filed on any of the Alaska Coal Stoves. Inside of my coal stove are 3, little nubs that help hold up the grate. The nub in the back...

Are there any actual home construction postings on here any more?
Looking through the last few months of postings, it's pretty much all spam. Is there any actual information left here? Are there any other groups that have any?

quickcrete
Need to pour 6" x 24" x 6' shelf for stone face. Can I poor dry mix into hole and walk away, I've seen it done for fence post.
1
1

Water pressure in a swimming pool question
Just for the heck of it, I want to build a swimming pool above ground. The idea is to make the walls out of glass so people can see the swimmers while on ground level. Let's say the size is 20feet...
1
1

Reinforcing 2x6 attic joists above garage for conversion to living space?
I have seen similar questions online, but not my situation specifically. I have an attached garage with 2x6 attic joists and 2x6 roof rafters. The joists span 20' and are 16" on center. '. Each joist...
4
4

Why do part time employees make less per hour than full time
An hours work is an hours work. Why should it pay less? I can think of no reason why two workers doing the same job should get different pay.
1
1

HDPE on Outfeed Table
A little background before my question. A few years back I built a 4X8 outfeed table around my Uni. Top was a sheet of 3/4" MDF with a few coats of varnish. Worked well as an assembly bench and...

Spray foam insulation sprayed over vapour barrier and pink insulation
My basement was insulated and vapour barriered by my builder . Now I want to finish my basement . I have but the Dryco flooring down and now I want to 2x4 the walls . I want to spray foam but do I...
1
1