Latest threads in Building Constructionshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Stove hood
Does anybody make a stove hood with a fan and an air filter, for stoves that aren't near an outside wall? I'm hoping one might exist with a washable air filter. Thanks.

Builder Screwup pouring foundation
Have them fix it, or give you several thousand dollars off the price. This happed to my Dad on our two car detached garage he had built, Got the bulder to deduct the price of ALL the concrete work,...
2
2

Fine Homebuilding magazines available
Fine Homebuilding magazines available FREE if you pick them up in Fairfax Virginia or $25 + shipping costs if I ship them. Issues 1 thru 145 ? missing 4, 75, 82, 86, 93, 112, 124, 138, 139, 142 Also...

Steel Tubing Bend Capacity
I am looking at sinking 25 foot pipe vertically 5 feet below the surface and securing with concrete. The pipe is 2 1/16 OD steel oil pipe. How much tension (in lbs?) can I apply to the top of the...
1
1

Heating tape/cable on water pipes
I just had to replace my 33 year old heat tape on my water pipe that runs through an unheated portion of my building. NOTE: this is the self regulating type of heating cable, not the stuff with a...
1
1

Wall stud planing/sanding
I am working on replacing a uni-body fiberglass shower stall that was installed in when my house was built, with a 3 piece stackable stall. The problem I am running into is the bottom piece is a...

Lead flashing questions ?
Hi I have a single storey extension being built . The roof has been built and the angles and measurements as per plans . We have tiled the roof and tiles are really close to upvc windows . As per the...
1
1

What to replace side of garage with
I am having to replace the siding to the side of my detached garage. I was wondering if instead of using siding if I could us flat plastic roofing? If yes how should I attach it? Thanks for your...
1
1

I'm trying to make the heaviest and slim canopy weight to weigh down a 10' x 10' tent. Any ideas?
I'm trying to make the heaviest and slim canopy weight to weigh down a 10' x 10' tent. Any ideas?
1
1

Fresh air system HRV & ERV
Hi there, This is Victina who dealing with the HRV & ERV. Many houses choose the ventilation system now. Have you use one? Kindly like to listen your opinions about this. Victina
1
1

Using 2" schedule 40 pipe as support for basketball backboard and hoop
I wish to put up a basketball hoop, using 2" schedule 40 pipe. Is this pipe sufficient from a strength perspective. I would cement it 4' below ground.
1
1

1000 sq ft out building with basement
Looking to build around a 1000 sq ft building just open layout but would want electricity to it. Also 9-11ft basement. (Shelter) what are the options out there can i go polebarn route? Or what would...
1
1

Form material for interior topping slab
Placing a ~3.5" topping slab to elevate a garage floor up to the house's sl ab grade on a remodel. We cut 6" wide strips of 1/8" Masonite to act as a perimeter form to set our screed lines. Wall studs...
1
1

Dropped a screwdriver down the toilet drain
I drop a screwdriver down a toilet drain. The drain is cast iron and straight down about 8 ft and then does a 90. The driver is laying at the 90 and I can just see the handle but none of the metal...
1
1

Reinforcing 2x6 attic joists above 2nd for conversion to 3rd floor living space?
Seeing if anyone can help, I just bought a house built in 1908. Half of the attic was a finished with plastered and deteriorated over the years due to a leaky roof, the other half of the attic was...
1
1