Latest threads in Building Constructionshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Do people still use nails?
I've heard that builders are starting to use glue exclusively instead of nails. I guess its a cost savings. The builder I visited last week said there were less than 100 nails in the home that he just...
2
2

Formerly flooded house
I am buying a house in NJ which has an outdoor heating and cooling unit I g uess its like a heat pump and I think it was at least partially under the o cean or bay or whatever during the hurricane...
3
3

Tile layout tool for iPhone
I was just playing with an app called TilePro for the iPhone. It's just a simple app that gives you a starting point for setting your tiles when you want to end up with equal tiles at the walls. Looks...

Safe Walking on Acid Washed Concrete
I am having a vendor acid wash some large rectangular concrete stepping stones. They look great, but when it rains they are a little unstable. Is there any chemical sealer that can be applied to acid...
1
1

Pressure treated deck
I am in the process of designing a deck for my house in the spring. It will be a somewhat complicated design, aka expensive. I would love to use cedar deck boards, but as they are more than twice the...
7
7

Who's looking for Made in America building material?
I have a source that list major made in America building material. We have many companies that offer great quality. unitedamericanconsumer(dot)com

Looking for some expert estimators with strong opinions
I'm a co-founder at working to build a cloud-based estimate too= l that is easy to use, customizable, and accessible on your mobile device. = I would love to get a small group of experts to weigh in...

one cool build you gotta see
Your right. I think the idea is great....... Could lead to some interesting architectural thoughts..... Like glass block...... I used to make snow houses in Colorado when I was a kid.... They were...
9
9

One man's answer to stonehenge - KISS it!
man demonstrates one possible way how stonehenge could have been built. Use the KISS method. Keep it simple stupid. Wally Wallington has demonstrated that he can lift a Stonehenge-sized pillar...

Wood Floor Question
I have a wood floor to install, The client chose a pre-finished 3/4 oak. Now I understand acclimation and such. On one hand a friend of mine who is into wood floors for years, and had a business...
5
5

Stair stringer layout help
There is a stair stringer layout tool for the iPad that makes cutting stringers simple and easy called StairBuilderPro. It is unlike any other layout tool/guide in that no framing square or angle...
5
5

Lessons learned installing a torsion spring in a typical residential garage
They use a high pressure crimping machine to attach the winding cone at the factory. The spring and cone are always sold as a unit.
23
23

how would I best search for information on a lifting system?
By a lifting system, I mean one in which an arm is mounted upon a stand and counterweights allow the simple movement to make it rise in a circular motion. What I'm looking to do is lift up to perhaps...
2
2

Garage door torsion spring relocation project (Status = Not going well)
FINAL UPDATE (as a good net citizen). I noticed you guys were unhappy so I simply stopped asking questions and just finished the job by immobilizing the bearing end plates and relocating & then...
15
15

Is a single torsion spring garage door supposed to have a center bearing?
Dan Musick of DDM Garage Doors is kindly sending me a bearing. The construction appears to be: a) There is air under the entire spring anchor plate. b) The spring anchor plate is bolted by 1 bolt to...
8
8