Latest threads in Building Constructionshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

concrete foundation question
Hey, I have a leak when it rains hard and I pulled back the insulation to find a round opening the size of re-bar that has its concrete "cap" off. I imagine I have to fill this void and am wondering...
6
6

Dishwasher Electrical Hookup?
I am installing a dishwasher. I bought a pigtail that is all gray in color, flat cable with 3 wire and plug connected. It is a GE plug for dishwasher hookup. I know the green wire goes to ground on...

Didhwasher Electrical Hookup?
Look at a lamp cord or such in your home til you find one with the "ridges". You'll find that the Identified conductor goes to the neutral (WHITE) wire which is also the WIDE one of the two...
18
18

Fluoresant light driving me nuts won't go on
We have a flouresant light in the bathroom that has worked for 4 years. Recently it just stopped working and we bought a new tube, that didn't help. It only glows at either end but never fully...
9
9

Which is better? crawl space or basement cellar?
I'd always go with the Basement, especially if the local sewer is of the depth that you can "drain" any bathroom etc to the sewer without having to "pump up". Local codes here prevent basements...
45
45

building under stairs
This has always driven me crazy -- is there ANY good way to build an enclosed space under an exterior stair? I've always run into problems with it, because the stairs end up having to act as the roof...

dealing with basement joists that are not level
I'm finishing my basement with 1x3s on the ceiling to attach wallboard. Unfortunately, two of the ceiling joists are about 1/2 inch lower than every other joist. They aren't sagging--they were just...
24
24

Skriting
On the new mobiles in the area, they lay down a layer of tamped gravel and place ground contact PTL 2X4s "flat" on it, pin them down to the ground and run 24" OC uprights. To that they add the...
6
6

Shear Walls and Brace Walls? Whats the Difference?
What's the Difference between Brace Walls, Alternate Brace Walls and Shear Walls? Thanks, Scott
3
3

cool-crete or cool-deck
I need to pour a 4" slab of decking around a pool and match it to the existing one with cool-crete (or cool-deck...is there a difference?) Is cool-crete (cool-deck) a product one can buy, or is it a...
6
6

Load bearing wall?
Hello, I read the previous posts on this subject so I'll try and be precise as possible. I have a room above a garage that I want to install double french doors. The opening at the moment is 32"...
3
3

Selection schedule
I had a great selection schedule that I presented to clients when preparing for a construction poject. It had multiple items for selections to be made, and spaces to write in the selections, sizes,...
3
3

Ceramic tile over linoleum?
Can it be done? Jim
18
18

OT neat little program
This little program makes it a lot easier to read posts from usernet groups. Because you post in plain text and leave many tails in the posts, it is sometimes hard to figure out who posted what. This...
3
3

HVAC and remodeling kitchen
We lived in the desert where COOLING was much more important than heating. Our kitchen ducts were placed above the cabinets..Picture cool air 'falling'. We were on a concrete slab so actually...
27
27