Does flashing go over or under shingle?

Here is a picture, hope its understandable. right now the lower piece is over shingles. Im replacing shingle and was waondering if over on lower portion is correct.

Rocky Bing

It looks like you're trying to do the flashing in one piece, and that's asking for trouble. The correct way to flash at the shingles in the area you indicated is using step flashing. Step flashing is made up of short pieces, usually about 5"x7" that are bent in half the long way. Each piece is slid under a shingle tab going up the roof. You may have to pull some nails if the shingles are existing. Do a Google and you'll find plenty of sites with diagrams, pictures and instructions.

RicodJour

you should be using step flashing for the lower roof. edging on the upper roof. then use coil stock for the wall. lapped properly of course.

Reply to
mg

You have 2 cases there: The top edge detail (Higher part) The bottom flashing detail (Lower part)

At top, you may have a continuous metal flashing located under the shingles But at bottom, no way, you must follow the recommendations given by the 2 previous posters, i.e. step flashing You can get a good illustration of that system at

sketch at page 2 of that .pdf document.

So, you would need 2 flashings:

- Continuous one for the top part.

- Step flashing at bottom part Make sure that the lower step flashing is installed first and then covered vertically by the continuous top flashing.

If it would be my house, I would do everything with shingles only, no metal, from an easthetical point of view. Dig a bit in the Manual of my link or go to

then open the NRCA Manual and search in Steep Roofing.

Cheers Daniel

Reply to
Daniel

thanks, for all the help guys. Guess the previous shinglers did it wrong, good thing i see no damage anywhere..

Reply to
Rocky Bing