Metal flashing over or under roofing felt?

I am fixing a leak at the90 degreee junction of a relatively flat roof and a steeper sloped roof. The flater room ends about 1 foot up from the bottom of the steeper roof, creating a small overhang.

ASCII art picture:

**************************************

  • * * * ***********X *

***************************************

The roof is cedar shingles.

The roofer did not put flashing at the junction and I planning on putting flashing under the overhang and at the junction of the edge of the flatter roof and the steeper roof (the X in the picture).

My question is for the metal flashing (galv metal): should I put the flashing under the roofing felt or on top of the felt? In other words, should it be: skip sheathing, flashing, felt, shinges or skip sheating, flashing, felt, shingles?

The flatter roof has a gutter at the end. I am also thinking of putting a bend flashing channel from the X junction to the start of the gutter at the end of the flatter roof.

- Phil

Reply to
LT

Phil wrote:>My question is for the metal flashing (galv metal): should I put the

Under the felt. Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom