roof flashing

Yep, you gotta cut the flashing on the roof side, right at the point where the brick intrudes, to the bend in the flashing. Tuck the lower cut under the upper cut to form the kickout. A little discreet caulking at the intersection on the flashing, and maybe an extra flasher underneath. HTH. Tom

Reply to
tom

link shows picture of problem. Lower garage roof ties into side of house. I have step flashing under the vinyl siding and under each row of asphalt shingles. At roof edge , brick wall sticks out about one inch and water is getting into it. some how i guess i have to tie flashing into the brick coursing?? any ideas. thanks bill

Reply to
bill

bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You didn't ask this, but from my viewpoint, the downspout from the top floor should go to the ground and not to the lower roof. It looks "funny" the way it's set up. I think you are adding more water to the lower roof than is necessary.

Your idea to add flashing next to brick is a good idea, tho I don't know how to go about it.

Reply to
Pasar

What you need is called a brick pocket. Call any sheet metal fabrication company and tell them what you need. You will need to draw a diagram with dimensions for them and they will make up a piece of flashing for you. The brick pocket does not need to be embedded into the mortar of the brick (although that is the best way to do it). It is such a small area, that NP-1 or another high quality caulk can be used to seal the back of the flashing to the brick.

The installation can be a bear on finished buildings unless you take off some shingles and siding, so go ahead and begin with that in mind.

Reply to
Robert Allison

Reply to
bill

I completely agree with the above. This step alone may get you through till Spring if necesaary.

I am not completely sure what the brick pocket Robert is referring to looks like but the water that is coming down the the roof and that which is in the j-channel, which looks like it is cut short, needs to be diverted to the gutter. I could make the pieces needed but I doubt that I can tell you how.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Even so is it possible that there is splashing going on during bad rain storms that is adding to your problems.

Reply to
Art

I bet if you get the downspout from the upper roof piped to the ground instead of the lower roof most of your problems will be eliminated. To do more you would have to peel off the siding. I would fix the downspout and paint the back inch of the brick with water proofing and see if that fixes it. Theoretically, you should have weep holes and flashing where your studs hit the foundation wall and that should be enuf to handle thelittle bit of water still making thru. But I bet they weren't built properly either. That is why I never again will go with a brick veneer home.

Reply to
Art