Flashing leaks

A room was added 40+ years ago and the point where the new roof joins the house under the main eaves has always leaks. Have installed flashing and had several roofers over the year and have never been able to get the leak stopped. I know it sounds simple but anyone run across this before?

Naturally the leak is worse when it's a windy rain coming from the west and hitting up under the eaves.

My guess is that it is not the flashing but something else. Can't get into the attic and no vents.

Reply to
Guv Bob

ago and the point where the new roof joins the house under the main eaves h as always leaks. Have installed flashing and had several roofers over the y ear and have never been able to get the leak stopped. I know it sounds simp le but anyone run across this before? Naturally the leak is worse when it's a windy rain coming from the west and hitting up under the eaves. My guess is that it is not the flashing but something else. Can't get into the atti c and no vents.

Have you actually been up on the lower roof to see the quality of the workm anship?

Where on your excellent drawing does the rain show up, on the outside wall of the original house that is now an inside wall, or on the ceiling of the addition, or where? You could have a leak coming in on the original high l evel roof, traveling down inside the wall, and then appearing!! You really need to get up on both roofs and take a close look. You could also use a garden hose applied to different points to try to pin the location down. S tart low, and allow plenty of time for the leak to show up before moving up to a higher point.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Hi, I have an attached(lean to) to the wall sun room roof like that built almost 20 years ago. Never experienced any leak problem. Source of leak is tricky to pin point due to the capillary or osmosis action of the water. It'll need some due diligence to track it down. Good luck.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

house under the main eaves has always leaks. Have installed flashing and had several roofers over the year and have never been able to get the leak stopped. I know it sounds simple but anyone run across this before?

nd hitting up under the eaves.

to the attic and no vents.

Can you take some pics of the flashing, shingles, etc and post them on a hosting site? All that should be required there is standard step flashing. If it's installed correctly, it's 100% effective. Is there Tyvek behind the siding? Possible that the water is getting in behind the siding, not at the roof level?

Reply to
trader4

[...]

===

Last time I was up there everything looked OK. But I installed some flashing along the main house fascia just in case water was traveling back to the wall. All the other work, wall, shingles, flashing, etc, looked OK.

House is out of state and no one to do checks right now.

The leak shows up as wet spots on the interior ceiling of the addition. New seat of the pants sketch....

Guv Bob

the house under the main eaves has always leaks. Have installed flashing and had several roofers over the year and have never been able to get the leak stopped. I know it sounds simple but anyone run across this before?

west and hitting up under the eaves.

into the attic and no vents.

Can you take some pics of the flashing, shingles, etc and post them on a hosting site? All that should be required there is standard step flashing. If it's installed correctly, it's 100% effective. Is there Tyvek behind the siding? Possible that the water is getting in behind the siding, not at the roof level?

===

My guess is that it leaks where the addition connects to the main wall, but no way to check until I get over there again in few weeks. Had a new roof put on about 3 years ago and it's better but still leaks, especially when it's a windy storm blowing from the west toward that wall.

Thanks to all for the questions and comments.

Here's another one. This is a neighbor's house showing an addition that was done years before they moved in and leaks. They have installed wide flashing in the valley that is plenty wide enough to carry the water, but still leaks every time there's a hard rain. I don't want to get too chummy with them about it, but if anyone has run across another type of fix, I would pass it along.

There's a gutter on the 2nd story that already that diverts the rain from that roof.

Guv Bob

ago and the point where the new roof joins the house under the main eaves h as always leaks. Have installed flashing and had several roofers over the y ear and have never been able to get the leak stopped. I know it sounds simp le but anyone run across this before? Naturally the leak is worse when it's a windy rain coming from the west and hitting up under the eaves. My guess is that it is not the flashing but something else. Can't get into the atti c and no vents.

Your neighbors addition looks like a disaster waiting to happen. A valley like that, in any climate where snow may freeze, is just asking for trouble .

Reply to
hrhofmann

Do you have any idea how the original roof was attached to the old house and how flashing was/is done? Did they actually tear back the old wall exterior siding sufficiently to put flashing up high enough to do any good and have it under the membrane there or was it just stuck under the cutoff siding at new roof level? What about the new roof--is it continuous membrane/flashing far enough away over the tar paper and other roofing? At that location for the discovered leak, I'd suspect decent chance it reaches the edge of a flashing that's on the decking instead of over the paper...

Reply to
dpb

traveling

Thanks for that. No idea - the addition was done pre-1967 by previous owner. Next time I'm there, we'll peel everything and get to the bottom of it. Will be awhile but I'll post a reply when I can get to it.

Reply to
Guv Bob

years ago and the point where the new roof joins the house under the main eaves has always leaks. Have installed flashing and had several roofers over the year and have never been able to get the leak stopped. I know it sounds simple but anyone run across this before? Naturally the leak is worse when it's a windy rain coming from the west and hitting up under the eaves. My guess is that it is not the flashing but something else. Can't get into the attic and no vents.

Your neighbors addition looks like a disaster waiting to happen. A valley like that, in any climate where snow may freeze, is just asking for trouble.

===

Yeah, the addition must have been done by Larry, Moe and Curly. It's always being re-repaired. No snow or ice though - never gets below 35 degrees around here.

Reply to
Guv Bob