Latest threads in Building Constructionshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Lead flashing questions ?
Hi I have a single storey extension being built . The roof has been built and the angles and measurements as per plans . We have tiled the roof and tiles are really close to upvc windows . As per the...
2 years ago 1

What to replace side of garage with
I am having to replace the siding to the side of my detached garage. I was wondering if instead of using siding if I could us flat plastic roofing? If yes how should I attach it? Thanks for your...
2 years ago 1

I'm trying to make the heaviest and slim canopy weight to weigh down a 10' x 10' tent. Any ideas?
I'm trying to make the heaviest and slim canopy weight to weigh down a 10' x 10' tent. Any ideas? Replace the tent, which is what I assume you mean by the question, with Cement-Board. Beautifully,...
3 years ago 1

Fresh air system HRV & ERV
Hi there, This is Victina who dealing with the HRV & ERV. Many houses choose the ventilation system now. Have you use one? Kindly like to listen your opinions about this. Victina With today?s new...
3 years ago 1

Using 2" schedule 40 pipe as support for basketball backboard and hoop
I wish to put up a basketball hoop, using 2" schedule 40 pipe. Is this pipe sufficient from a strength perspective. I would cement it 4' below ground. Bouncy, wigglely, wooblely. Nothing under 3". 4"...
3 years ago 1

1000 sq ft out building with basement
Looking to build around a 1000 sq ft building just open layout but would want electricity to it. Also 9-11ft basement. (Shelter) what are the options out there can i go polebarn route? Or what would...
3 years ago 1

Form material for interior topping slab
Placing a ~3.5" topping slab to elevate a garage floor up to the house's sl ab grade on a remodel. We cut 6" wide strips of 1/8" Masonite to act as a perimeter form to set our screed lines. Wall studs...
3 years ago 1

Dropped a screwdriver down the toilet drain
I drop a screwdriver down a toilet drain. The drain is cast iron and straight down about 8 ft and then does a 90. The driver is laying at the 90 and I can just see the handle but none of the metal...
3 years ago 1

Reinforcing 2x6 attic joists above 2nd for conversion to 3rd floor living space?
Seeing if anyone can help, I just bought a house built in 1908. Half of the attic was a finished with plastered and deteriorated over the years due to a leaky roof, the other half of the attic was...
3 years ago 1

outdoor tankless water heater
Are outdoor tankless water heaters allowed on a zero lot line wall? I know windows are not allowed, but a neighbor just installed a tankless heater on the outside wall. Call the Municipality and see...
3 years ago 1

load bearing wall with single top plate
Can an existing partition wall with a single top plate be used as a load bearing wall if strengthened? I was considering inserting 2x4 blocking between each stud (studs are 16 o.c.) and nailing them...
3 years ago 1

3/4" clean stone
How much does 1 yard of 3/4" clean stone weigh?
3 years ago

Suggestions? House Exterior Covering
or What's a cheap way to make the exterior of this old asphalt-composition siding house look modern and decent? The way the house is situated, only the sides that are showing need covering. The back...
4 years ago 1

Detritis (crap) falling into living room
I have had this fire in place for 14 years, recently the coals on fire have been subjected to detritus (stuff) coming down the chimney flume and falling into the fire, and often then into the living...
4 years ago

Insulation recommendation for detached garage
I have a detached garage that is framed with wood as well as concrete board siding. I was wanting to insulate the area for a hydroponic garden that I have but was concerned with the moisture getting...
4 years ago