Latest threads in Building Constructionshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Building a tunnel with basic tools
Let's say I want to build a well 500 feet from a lake. It will be 300 feet deep. I want to have a pipe laid that fills that well automatically with no powered device. Should I angle the pipe directly...
2
2

wood ceiling
is it ok to use a 3/4 inch tongue and grooved pine 1x8 on my ceiling instead of sheetrock? it is in california and is single story
4
4

Hardboard verses wallboard on a wall for crack reinforcement
My reason for considering this is to fix the cracking problem that keeps re-occurring in a small bathroom. The crack starts on the corner of the pocket door and of course, angles up from there...
1
1

Parents - Be aware of Contractor Discrimination
Garden State Brickface in Roselle, New Jersey was selected to bid on a large home improvement project. Upon confirming the time for the contractor bid appointment, I was asked if I was married and if...

odd math question -how large is the circle?
Every cirlce has 360 degrees, regardless of size. For this excercise, create a circle of a size of your choice. Mark the points, 0 (zero) and 90 degrees. How big is the circle if the distance between...
1
1

what foundation type would be best for High water table and spongy clay soil
Building a beach front house facing the atlantic ocean how ever there is a High water table and spongy clay soil - must determine foundation type whether you should use raft or floating or Pile...
3
3

Vapour Barrier Placement
There appears to be no information as to the correct placement for the vapour barrier. I do not know if it is not required where some of you live but I have not seen it in drawings and pictures of...

backhoe question
I have five acres of land in northern florida I would like cleared out. I got to thinking that maybe a backhoe would be better, perhaps quicker, than a chainsaw. As I have seen backhoes push over...
5
5

Joint Sand Stabilizer Between Stepping Stones
I want to understand applications for joint sand stabilizer and see if there is a better solution for my case. I have some stepping stones, with about two inches between each stone. The stepping...
1
1

Gas Boilers and Gas Bottles in Spain
We have a floor mounted oil boiler in an outside well ventilated store in Spain (1.1m x 1.1m with 1 wall fully louvred) and the 1000ltr oil tank in the adjacent store 1.1m x 2m again with 1 long wall...
1
1

Laser Level Charger
I have a very good Laser Level, although I feel the charger is faulty. I have replaced the Ni-Cad batteries also. Here are the specs. I would like to find one that would charge my Laser. Thanks, John...
3
3

Two 15 amp breakers Vs 15 amp double pole
Question: I have a well pump conected to one of those breaker that have 2 15 amp on the outside and 2 15 amp in the centre but connected together with a small metal rod, So they both move at the same...
13
13

clutch clipping
On JD 5103 should the PTO clutch operating rod be adjusted to be longer or shorter if the internal PTO clutch is slipping?
1
1

Mohawk Ironworkers
Xposted - OT for a.h.r. I read a number of news sites on the web, one of which is aljazeera America. It's mostly American News. I found this story about the Native American ( US and Canadian ) Mohawk...
10
10

Bowed Ceiling Drywall
A friend recently bought a house and the unfinished (not taped and mudded) drywall is bowed down between the trusses across the whole ceiling. I looke d in the attic and there is standard %30 batt...
8
8