Building a tunnel with basic tools

Let's say I want to build a well 500 feet from a lake. It will be 300 feet deep. I want to have a pipe laid that fills that well automatically with no powered device.

Should I angle the pipe directly to the bottom of the well? Or should I dig a second hole, connect the two holes, then lay the pipe over the second hole say 20 feet or so below the surface?

Without the advantage of having modern day high power expensive machinery, how would I best make the hole for the angled pipe?

Reply to
richard

richard wrote in news:puqau5hxl7i1.q78j9zoxeprc$. snipped-for-privacy@40tude.net:

Several questions:

1) Where is the nominal surface of the lake in relation to the depth of the hole? 2) What type of subsurface material are we talking about? Clay, loam, sand, gravel, rock, any or all of the above? 3) What diameter will the well be? I am assuming it will be lined. 4) What will be your average and high usage rate for water from the well?

Answer these and then we can figure out some more questions.

Reply to
Tim

Richard,

  1. What is the level of the ground water in the area? I'm betting it's less than 300 feet deep, in which case there is no need for a pipe from the lake to the well. There will already be water in the well.
  2. You will need a way to pump the water from 300 feet down to the surface (electric pump, gas pump, windmill, or whatever). Why not pump directly from the lake instead and avoid all the underground drilling and piping?

Anthony Watson

HerHusband