Are you supposed to tip a freight delivery driver?

I think you are wasting your breath. Steve is a malcontent who suffers from poor self esteem, and the chip on his shoulder grows every time he makes a delivery and isn't showered with money for doing his job. Being the wimp that he is, he tries to intimidate everyone here into thinking that if you don't tip, your next delivery is going to be destroyed by the big, bad teamster character who handles your goods.

Dave

Reply to
David

On guys who won't do their jobs, I'd hope.

Reply to
Prometheus

For you, and the group, I'm not really even talking about the run of the mill small business and household delivery world.

I was merely commenting on the worst of the worst in one of the most hectic locations in the world for freight handling. At MAJOR conventions. The ones with 300,000 attendees. Companies that showed up with 47 semis of freight. And some of the small men and minds who try every day to get around the rules and the small guys to save a buck and get more than they paid for.

Greedy types.

Although it may seem like a simple question, do I tip a driver or not, it is not. Attitude, special conditions, extra help, kindness, lots of variables come into play, and each man picks his own way to handle things.

Yes, a person is entitled to have his stuff delivered. No tip necessary.

When it goes over that line, and they want you to wait, or unload it, or put it somewhere special that requires all sorts of gyrations, or then come back and move it over there, or lots of other things that some people expect you to do for free, that's when it gets interesting.

Sorry I wasn't more specific in my explanation. Having a drill press delivered to your house is different than an environment that has 2,000 semis full of freight to move in, then move out four or five days later. My job, position, and responsibilities were light years away from what was being discussed. And those who have never worked in that environment don't understand what I was talking about.

I apologize.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"David" wrote

No, Dave. I'm retired.

If you will read my last post, perhaps it will answer where I was coming from.

I gave good service to good people. I did lots of things for free, including many things that were WAAAAY over and above the scope of my job description. I also had a way of dealing with greedy idiots that were trying to get a lot more than they paid for.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Yeah. Glad I'm retired.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Maybe I took your previous posts wrong? I thought you were coming from a "let's show them how well I can screw them over" place because I'm a rough and tumble Teamster and don't screw with me! If that's not the case, that's good, and I withdraw my criticisms. :)

Dave

Reply to
David

"Steve B" wrote in news:OcMDg.7030$Mz3.5387@fed1read07:

I've been your customer. I was always appreciative of a professional in your position. Thank you.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch