Are you supposed to tip a freight delivery driver?

You were lucky. Many people have been killed or seriously injured in that exact scenario.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Not in a restraunt or a place that they are disruptive. Yelling and screaming out side with other kids is normal. Yelling and screaming in a restaurant is a sign of wimp parents with no regard for others.

Reply to
Leon

I would agree with you there, but none of those things were ever "criminal". If anything, a lot of things that are criminal today were not 30 years ago.

Reply to
Locutus

I dunno; parents are way too permissive from what I've seen in public with kids cursing, standing on restaurant tables and the parents act totally oblivious. I would have been drawn and quartered if I'd done

1/2 of what the little brats today get away with on a regular basis. Look at Supernanny or Nanny 911 to get a glimpse of todays little monsters and their pathetically inept parents.

Dave

Reply to
David

Actually, if you read the book Freakonomics, it is down where the kids were aborted. Don't know if it's true or not, but it's definitely an interesting theory.

Reply to
James E. Cannon

Trying to understand other sides and views isn't a bad overall life strategy.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I wouldn't consider it lucky. You probably have about a good of chance of winning the lottery as you do getting killed for confronting someone about cutting you off....

People just don't have any stones anymore. :)

Reply to
Locutus

LOL.. I worked at one place, it was huge, it had about 8 different shipping docks scattered all over the "campus".. My boss was a prick. He was expecting 6 large packages. Every day, he called up our dock and gave them hell about "where's my packages?" They fixed him up good. Over the next 3 months, they slowly started to be "found" at other docks. Every one of them was damaged.

I didn't help with this, and I don't condone it, but sometimes it's better not to be a jerk to people that can screw you over.

Reply to
bf

Yeah, works for me.

Reply to
Leon

Why do you suppose there are more criminal laws today than 30 years ago????

Reply to
Leon

Exactly. So to say that we have become more tolerant of crime and that is the reason crime is down is absurd.

Reply to
Locutus

As the parent of a 2nd grader, and who is active in our neighborhood elementary school (middle to lower income families with a good percentage hispanic), plus live across the street from a city playground/park, I can say the vast majority of kids behave as we would expect them to - polite, mannered and good all around kids. I've seen nothing of the sort of bad behavior you are relating. Occasionally I've witnessed a melt-down, inappropriate behavior or foul language but by and large the instances are rare.

Don't get too fixated up on believing that what you see on TV is commonplace. The programs like Supernanny wouldn't exist if the scenarios were not over-the-top - likewise with the "news magazine" segments.

You know how, when you are interested in a buying a certain vehicle, you spot that car "all over the place"? It's not that they weren't there all the time, it's just that you are now focusing your attention on looking for them. I believe the same is true of most things - if you are looking for poor behavior, you'll spot it. You'll become overly critical and judgmental since it's something you dislike - generalizing that kids today are out of control merely because you have become fixated on every instance you can spot.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

So you're a road rage loon. I'll bet your wife is so proud....:)

Reply to
jimmy

Reply to
Leon

I only notice the kids in public that are acting up. What galls me is the parents give-a-shit attitude, like their kids behavior is fine and dandy. would you eat at a table where you just witness 2 kids JUMPING all over the table with their dirty shoes? The kids don't respect the parents and I doubt the parents have much self respect either. My kid would never have even THOUGHT about acting like such a hellion, much less that I'd have to punish such behavior.

Dave

Reply to
David

That doesn't make you special. Lots of people think they own the road. :)

Reply to
jimmy

No, if it's a buffet, a lot of people think like you and stiff them. I worked at a place like that in college. A group of six comes in and stuffs their faces. You spend 30 minutes refilling their drinks and they leave you a dollar. Keep in mind that some restuarants report tip income as a percentage of sales the waiter has.

Also, consider that many buffet's are "budget" type restuarants where cheap bastards eat and the tips are poor.

Give them a full tip at a buffet restuarant.

Reply to
bf

What do you expect her to do though? The manager can't spank the kids.

Why didn't you ask to be moved to another table?

Her attitude was "whatever" because she hears that threat from people like you 5 times a shift. The funny thing is, that most people who threaten that do come back. LOL.

In the end, your meal two times a month doesn't make much of a difference. Interesting how you complained about PITA customers when you delivered frieght, and now you were a PITA customer to the manager. What exactly did you expect her to do? Throw out the family with kids to appease a customer that's threatened to never come back?

Reply to
bf

I guess I may be in a minority here. I don't seem to `know who should be tipped outside of restaurants. I don't tip lawyers or accountants. I don't tip police or firefighters. I don't tip the lady at the DMV that takes my picture. I don't tip the cashier at K-Mart. I would never have even thought of tipping a truck driver before this thread. Nobody has ever offered to tip me for getting out payroll on time, paying vendors or submitting financial statements (let alone for collecting their taxes). I really don't get the concept of having to pay extra to get people to do the job that they get a paycheck for doing. Just to show that I don't have consistency in my "philosphy", I always holiday tipped the newspaper delivery boy or girl when they still had newspaper delivery boys and girls (I have never tipped the adult that drives past heaving out newspapers, though).

Dave Hall

Reply to
Dave Hall

I'm not sure I agree. But, then maybe I do.

When you turn off the TV news, focus only on the Sports section of the newspaper, cut some wood, socialize with your family, friends and neighbors, the kids you know aren't bad at all. (NIMBY)

But the kids in another neighborhood, another city, another state are the ones with poor grades and juvenile records. So let us just raise taxes and pass laws

Jack

-- But I'm not paranoid but they are after me.

Reply to
John Flatley