Are you supposed to tip a freight delivery driver?

Maybe the customer isn't always right, but he's always the customer. If the money doesn't leave his pocket it never arrives in mine.

Reply to
W Canaday

Is that an excuse or an explanation? The behaviour of your purported teamster is criminal, and should be prosecuted.

If you participated in similar activities, you are also a criminal, and should be prosecuted.

IIRC, the teamsters have historically been run by criminals anyway, hardly an organization to hold up to your children as something to aspire to.

The fact that a Union can excuse criminal behaviour is far from the origins of the union movement which was to protect the worker from hazardous working and living conditions.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I managed for Dominos Pizza in Detroit and that WAS the guarantee.

If we shanked the pizza and had to make a replacement, you got it AND a full refund. If the driver balked, you could also keep him ... we certainly had no further use for him.

Reply to
W Canaday

I can see you've never been the sort of person I would care to associate with.

My whole plant (until tomorrow ... I'm quitting due to LOUSY union wages) is Teamster and we bust our buns getting the right product in the right box and on the right truck (prolly about 20-25 loads a day).

To think that the driver, also a Teamster, would louse that up shows a remarkable lack of union unity.

Bill

Reply to
W Canaday

If you stiff a pizza delivery boy just make sure he isn't the same guy delivering your next pizza....unless you happen to like body fluids as a topping. :-)

Reply to
Pete Walker

Ah! The same liberal Democrats that have traditionally supported union organizations for decades? So lemme get this straight; now you support conservative republicans? And how does that help your beloved teamsters?

Reply to
New Wave Dave

Here is a Rant, if you do not want to read it, just go on to the next message.

When I have bad service from a waitress, I do not have to wait until I am leaving the restaurant to speak to a manager. I have gone up to the manager and asked for what I wanted for my table telling him that my waitress was nowhere to be found, or whatever they were doing. It is amazing how fast the service improves.

And as for a manager who is indifferent, a letter to the owner of the restaurant, or to the President of the chain that owns the restaurant, usually results in at least an attitude correction of the manager, or a replacement of the manager. It really is amazing the things that happens when the complaint works its way down instead of up.

My letters have resulted in more than one manager change, and that includes all kinds of businesses, not just in restaurants. Just give the very top officers of a company documentation of how a manager is mistreating the customers, or give them just a hint of what some of these yo-yos are suggesting that they can, and will, do if they cannot extort protection money out of someone, and they will be history, gone and buried.

Now, as for giving tips for service. When I make a contract, I see to it that all charges for what services that I will receive is spelled out in writing. Non of this he said, they said stuff. If my contract calls for them to set my shipment on the ground, then that is what they had better do, and no extra hidden charge. I don't care if the delivery person has to pick up a 500 lb. package and jump down to the street level without damaging it, that is their problem how they get it down to the street level to fulfill the contract. But when that delivery person goes beyond what the contract calls for, they I do believe in offering them a tip. Some will take it, some won't.

A tip or gratuity is for service over and above what has been contracted for. In a restaurant, for the price on the menu, it is a normal contract between the customer and the management that for a fixed price there will be the table set accordingly, the food and drinks delivered to the table. Now if that is all that the waitress does then why should I pay her for exactly what the restaurant is paying her. After all that is what she agreed to work for. Just as what you, or I, agree to work for on any job, If we do not like the pay, then leave for a better paying job. I do not expect tips when I fix your car, and I do not expect tips when I fix your airplane, and I do not expect tips when I cut your grass that you contracted with me to do. I set my price. Period.

Do I give tips? Absolutely I have and will, when I receive good service over and above what is contracted for. I have given as much as a 100% tip on one occasion, for the waitress was worth every cent. And another who on her asking what else she could do for us, I said Jokingly for her to give me the money to pay for the meal, upon which she dug into her tip pocket and put a handful of money on my table then walked away. You can be sure that she not only got back every penny but also more than double what she laid on the table.

If you want a tip from me, you are going to have to do more than just what the contract says. I do not give just because you expect it. My money is hard to come by, maybe even harder to come by than that they have earned. I grew up in an era when people took pride in whatever work that they did. While there are still some of you out there who still has that work ethic, it is becoming as rare as hen's teeth. I see too many today who believes that everyone should pay them for doing nothing. I know that you see they too.

When I was growing up, if I mis behaved in public, I got a size 10 hand on my size 4 bottom in a big hurry, and it did not have to be applied very often. Today obnoxious children in a restaurant is common. so common that when I see parents in a restaurant who have well behaved children, I always go up to them and thank them for their well behaved children.

So much for the RANT. If you feel that you should double everyones pay, then throw some my way, I would appreciate a little help to go along with my SS.

Zap

Steve B wrote:

Reply to
zap

It depends on what you paid for. For most freight deliveries the driver is responsible for delivering the item only to the back of the truck. It is the receiver's responsibility from there.

Unless the delivery contract stated that the drive was responsible to deliver the item to a specific location I would tip the driver if he helped off load the item and put it in my garage.

Reply to
no(SPAM)vasys

Constitutes "child abuse" in some jurisdictions.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Let my fingers get away from me on the previous reply.

Constitutes "child abuse" in some jurisdictions. School officials can lose their jobs over it.

On the other hand, saw a documentary about Jackie Chan, the most famous actor in Asia (not to mention being a first class producer, director, stunt man, and fight choreographer), who was paddled regularly (and in Hong Kong apparently it's a pants down paddling with something that looks like a cricket bat) and attributes much of his success later in life to those paddlings.

A problem with contemporary American society is that we confuse "hurt" and "harm" and "harming" a child is anathema so so is "hurting" one even if doing so will help avoid him harming himself or others later.

Reply to
J. Clarke

You mean that you didn't arrange for your teamster buddies to lose their next order of tacos?

As for her attitude, I suspect based on the general attitude that you have expressed here that what she was thinking and didn't say was "Thank God I'm not going to have to put up with _this_ jerk anymore".

Reply to
J. Clarke

Which reminds me of the MCI call I got once. I told the guy "Look, if you people will issue a public apology to AT&T and on national televison draw and quarter that obnoxious woman in your ads who says "Are you out there AT&T" then, and only then, I might _think_ about changing to MCI." The idiot went on with his sales pitch at which point I hung up on him.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Depends on managerial policy. Some places the waiter keeps the tip, others they are pooled and divvied with percentages going to staff other than the cook. Places that have a maitre'd and a sommelier are more likely to work this way than are those in which there is one server to a customer.

I always assume that they are divvied if it makes a difference and have been known to give written instructions as to who gets what. If you're not sure then ask.

Reply to
J. Clarke

??? Not heard that expression. I've heard "shank" as in "stab" and "shank" as in "ride shank's mare" meaning "walk" but I'm having difficulty associating either with a pizza.

A few of the drivers I've seen around here I wouldn't mind keeping . . . Manager at the local Dominos has remarkable taste in women.

Reply to
J. Clarke

"Pete Walker" wrote

Some sound advice I got early in life from an old timer:

Never mess with the barber or the cook.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Both. The parents for allowing it, and the restaurant for allowing it.

I like California for the following reason, although it is the only one that comes to mind:

In restaurants the signs read something like this:

If your children are unruly, we will ask you to leave. We value the patronage of the highest numbers of customers.

I saw that BTW, in a restaurant on I10 in Victorville.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"David" wrote

The night the OBNOXIOUS children ruined our dinner, I asked the manager, "What would happen if I was unruly and ran around screaming?"

She said, "I would call the police."

What is the difference?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I'm sorry. I have never had a talent for communicating with idiots. They don't understand me, and I can't lower myself to their level no matter what the purpose.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

You have seen NOTHING in the way of paddling unless you have visited foreign countries where caning is allowed.

It is administered with a wet piece of cane about 1/4" in diameter and about five feet long. If the person administering the caning is thought to hold back, he gets twice the number of lashes. They swing for the cheap seats, believe me.

They do it on bare hindsides and backs. The backs of the thighs. People being whipped scream and dance from foot to foot. They void all over themselves. Their screams are every bit as piercing as any two year old girl's.

And most don't repeat the experiences.

Too bad it is not used in the US.

Steve

Reply to