Amazons Delivery preferences ignored by driver

Normally they are fine, they read the info where it says leave in the porch, its open, and do so. However yesterday, the person rings my bell, I was about 20 seconds getting to the door, he was gone, and I heard a van drive off. Not in the porch, not on the concrete to the left of my front door, no, I had to get my white cane and poke around, finally found it in the flower bed on the right of the door.The logic of this defeats me, its not a big package and being blind I was lucky to actually find it in the five minutes I spent searching for it. Some people, After all I have a door intercom, if he had hung around another ten seconds, I could have told him to put it in the porch, but then, maybe English is the 27th language.... Bah Humbug. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I have a brass plate PLEASE USE THE BELL

They bloody knock (if I'm lucky)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Doesn't the info include "blind customer" ?

While knowing absolutely nothing on the subject I would have thought any such information would be at the top of the page before anything else by default. And would need to be deliberately left blank.

And if not, why not ?

michael adams

michael adams

they've obviously been reading Winnie the Pooh. (Please knock if an answer is not required)

Reply to
charles

It seems to be a trait with delivery drivers to always knock.

Perhaps it's multiple experiences of finding bells that don't work or because many cannot be heard from outside and therefore an assumption that they are not working.

Reply to
alan_m

LOL! Of course!

(but my name isn't Sanders)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes, when I get the required yuit IO'm fitting an outside repeater, probably with a changeable recording:

1) Big Ben 2) "Time" from "Dark Side of the Moon" 3) A voice intoning "The bell is ringing " 4) "The gate is now electrified - you are advised to wait"
Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes but not using a bell or door intercom is not the preserve of delivery drivers, even neighbours andother callers do this. Is there a name for fear of bells or door intercom systems?

On the other hand, why press a door intercom and then piss off before you have managed to get to the intercom or the door? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

This one has a tone that pulses outside as well as ringing the intercom. There would be no excuse, but the point is, you ring the bell and it only took me 30 seconds to get to the bloody intercom and door. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

80 drops/day 30 seconds is 40 mins and when you are having to meet a 1 hour delivery slot... Bear in mind many of the drivers are not employee's of XYZ Couriers Ltd but tied freelancers, (if that's not contradictory) even if they are driving a branded van.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to find they are penalised for delivering outside of the allocated time slot. I've wandered out to at least one that I've spotted waiting outside a few minutes before the slot start time and have had to wait for the clock before he could scan the package as delivered.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

We had that with an ao.com delivery. Quite amusing.

We were originally given an 0800-1000 slot. It was revised (at 0500!) to

0700-0900. I got up at 0630 and checked so that was OK.

They turned up on the dot of 0700. Then I realised that the van I'd seen up the road (when I opened the curtains at 0640) had been them - having breakfast, as it turned out!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Don't know but our school magazine had a problem page:

Question - There is a campanologists' convention taking place where I live. The trouble is I can't stand bells. What do you suggest?

Answer - Sample Johnnie Walker's.

Reply to
Scott

Almost as good was when one of my contemporaries was told by the Head of Music that he could play id highland pipes in the music premises. He appealed to the headmaster who said "Use the gym". That was next door to the head of music's house.

Reply to
charles

Yes.

One of my father's favourite jokes about the teenagers who went to an elderly lady's house where the conversation proceeded as follows:

- We're collecting for the Denny and the Dunipace Burgh brass band

- Whit?

- We ... are ... collecting ... for ... the ... Denny ... and ... the ... Dunipace ... Burgh ... brass ... band

- Whit?

- (shouts) We ... are ... collecting ... for ... the ... Denny ... and ... the ... Dunipace ... Burgh ... brass ... band

- Whit?

They decide to give up.

- (Woman) Don't forget to shut the gate

- Fuck the gate

- Aye, and f*ck the Denny and the Dunipace Burgh brass band

Reply to
Scott

I even changed the bell push to one with nice bright LEDs so even a moron might guess it is working. But some still knock.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Not helped by so many on here recommending wireless doorbells. Which seem to have a working to non working ratio of 50:50 - and can rarely be heard from the outside.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Apart from giving negative feedback for the delivery, I would also report it to Amazon because if the driver's on the round regularly it could happen again.

Reply to
Pamela

You're fighting a losing battle. BTDTGTTS.

There's no point even trying to highlight it with a driver, because even if they get it (and that's a big "if") the next one, and the one after that will be the same.

When I pointed the bell push out to a driver who had knocked, he sgrugged his shoulders and said "... but they don't always work".

Currently I work by the front window, so can see them approaching (which gives the ones that don't knock a shock sometimes).

Really there's a case for some sort of DIY solution. Maybe a camera that can determine someone walking along a path up to the door, coupled with a proximity sensor ? After all, isn't that the poster application for all this smart-AI bollocks ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

If you have a garden gate, a spring closer and a switch on it? Did that many years ago, before proximity sensors etc were cheap and common.

Of course then the spam posters will set it off. Swings and roundabouts.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

We dont' ... the "style" of our road is open plan.

Hence my pointed comment about "AI" :)

Reply to
Jethro_uk