How are you supposed to fix/terminate flexible conduit?

I have just bought a chimney fan which has a spiral metal flexible conduit containing the wires that supply the fan. (This is a mains powered fan to sit on the top of a chimney, not a heat powered one for indoors).

Not that what it's for is very relevant. How are you supposed to terminate the flexible conduit properly? The problem is similar with plastic, wire reinforced conduit, the ribbing is spiral so you can't seal to it very well and even if sealing isn't incredibly important how are you meant to make a proper mechanical fix to the end (into a junction box presumably)?

If I feed the flexible into the bottom of a weatherproof junction box the watertightness won't matter too much (and even provides drainage) but I can't think of a neat/elegant way of holding it there.

Now I think about it I have some glands for larger plastic conduit but I can't imagine anything similar for the quite small (1cm O/D or maybe even a bit less) metal flaxible I have to deal with now.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Chris Green

You're right there are fittings that fit the larger plastic spiral conduit

Do any of these suit your metal flexi?

Andy Burns

Yes, you're right, these do go down to small enough for my conduit, thank you.

Reply to
Chris Green

Whatever you do don't do as i did once, use heat shrink sleeving, it buckled the conduit. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa