Gang Box to Weatherproof Conduit

I am wiring a SPA and have a manufacturer supplied subpanel. The contractor prewired my 230v connection to a flush, plastic, double gang outlet box with a plain metal cover on it. I need to run the wiring from the gang box to the subpanel using three quarter inch weatherproof plastic conduit. I can't find an appropriate connection to attach the conduit to the face of the gang box. I have some right angle and straight weatherproof fittings, but I can't find an appropriate face plate to accept the fitting. I'm thinking it would look like a plain faceplate with a three quarter inch hole. What I have found is box covers that do not fit with half inch holes in them. Does what I am looking for exist? Am I thinking about the connection correctly? Thank you, Dan. Remove protection to reply.

Reply to
Dan

If it was a one gang box in the wall I would suggest a RACO #5403-0 weatherproof extension adapter with 3/4" hubs. I can't find a two gang version in RACO, Steel city, or Pass & Seymour.

You could use a blank cover with a hole suitable for 3/4" however if it is a metal cover, it must be grounded. Also the splices would have to be accessible without the removal of the conduit, wires, fittings, etc. You could accomplish this by using a nylon two gang blank cover with a gasket and make your own hole in it using a hole saw or unibit and a slow drill.

You would come out of the cover with a 3/4" angle fitting and connect to a short piece of 3/4" liquidtight flexible nonmetallic conduit. The other end of the flex connects to your 3/4" pvc using a straight fitting and a pvc female adapter. Using the flex allows the cover to be removed without having to take anything apart. Just be sure to leave enough slack in your conductors.

John Grabowski

John Grabowski

As John said, you could do it yourself but a 3/4" Uni-bit is a expensive tool for a one-off. A hole-saw might work if you're careful.

I'd go to a electrical house and ask them directly. Apparently John already researched that it's not readily available in a two-gang, but perhaps the store or one of the electricians hanging around (go early in the morning and they're there) will punch your blank for you. All good electricians are going to have Greenlee knockout set around.

With the right tools.. it's about a 2 minute job and probably could be done pretty cheap! If you're in central Indiana... let me know. I'll punch it for you for free..

Jake

Reply to
Jake

Red dot makes a double gang extension ring with 3/4 hubs.

-- Tom Horne

Reply to
HorneTD