Getting voltage through a flexible conduit

Getting shocked and there is voltage in the flexible conduit, the outlet box and junction box are both plastic doesn't seem to have any wires exposed, there is a metal junction box where the main line is coming in feeding the outlet that I'm having problems with the metal box and there is a flexible conduit coming out of that metal junction box with no voltage

Reply to
Mac

Very confusing, because first you say the outlet box is plastic and then you say you're having problems with the metal box. Also you don't typically see metal conduit mixed in with plastic boxes. But if you're getting a shock between metal conduit and something that is at ground potential, eg a water faucet, then you have a serious and dangerous problem. There is apparently a fault that's energizing the metal and the metal is not properly bonded to earth ground. You need to get his addressed immediately. It could be a problem on just one part of one circuit or more extensive, possibly affecting all circuits in the building.

Reply to
trader_4

Where are you checking specifically? Are you checking from these boxes to a good ground of some sort? Maybe checking to a ground rod? You'll get a reading of zero voltage if you are checking from one box at 120 volts to another box at 120 volts if the two boxes are on the same leg. Is the flexible metal conduit connecting the outlet box and the junction box?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

there is voltage in coming out of that junction box flexible conduit, and junction box are with no voltage getting shocked any wires exposed?

Reply to
confusica

re: "voltage in coming out of that junction box flexible conduit"

What does that mean?

re: "junction box are with no voltage getting shocked"

What does that mean?

re: "any wires exposed?"

I'm guessing that's a standalone question, which makes it the only part of your post that is (barely) understandable.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You should never see metallic wiring methods connected to plastic boxes ... code violation

Reply to
gfretwell

Mac-

Your circuit is mis-wired. A licensed electrician should be easily able to correct the problem. Don't hurt yourself.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

I guess that's one good reason why I haven't seen it. LOL

Reply to
trader_4