Self amalgamating tape to repair flexible conduit?

I have a piece of flexible conduit feeding power to a chimney fan, it has got a bit damaged because the download came adrift and it has banged against the fan housing.

The best repair would be to completely replace the conduit but that is a major job given that it's up on the roof and rather difficult to take apart. In the long term (i.e. next summer!) I may assemble my tower platform and do the job properly but at the moment I just want to fix it so it doesn't get more damaged and/or damage the wires inside.

So, will self-amalgamating tape wound round the damaged section do a reasonable job of fixing it?

Reply to
Chris Green

If the damage is enough to affect the strength of the conduit, wind a layer or two of self amalg around it, then add some lateral strengthening ? stout steel wire, strips of sheet metal, anything. Then bind it all with a lot more self amalg. Otherwise the self amalg will stretch at the point where it is stressed. Also it's an idea to cover the self amalg with some good quality insulating tape, because it cane be affected by sunlight.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

OK, thanks Bill, I'll wind lots of tape round it then and maybe (if I can) tie it with cable ties.

Reply to
Chris Green

You can also get split corrugated trunking for wiring harnesses in various diameters. Perhaps not UV resistant, but relatively neat taped in place, assuming you can get a good fit and have clearance to spiral wind with a reel of tape.

Reply to
newshound

Rewind! My wife (very sensibly) persuaded me that erecting the tower to get good access and do the job properly was the way to go. So, tower is now erected and I will start a new thread about how to do a proper job of repairing the wiring.

Reply to
Chris Green

Well, I've found that the original good quality stuff might, also heat shrink sleeping but that needs access to a free end. It would be interesting to know what sort of even caused the damage though. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa